Question about 12v tie-in

photoguy

Reaction score
I found this link in the forums about installing a Gentex mirror. The only other related posts I've found from Google are about installing a mirror in a different brand (Camaros, Jeeps, etc) of car. I found a mirror identical to that one, but I had one (hopefully simple) question about installing it.

Can I just tie in the mirror to my 12v cigarette lighter wires without any negative effects on the usability of the cigarette port? (to power my GPS or phone charger, etc.)

I have barely any wiring experience when it comes to cars and I don't want to overheat wires or cause a fire. (that would REALLY suck) If I can figure this out with the help of you guys, I'll make a DIY step-by-step post about it with pictures.

Thanks in advance. :beer:
(quick side note - I haven't posted my car in the forums yet. I gotta do that soon! :147703263745b138a51)

Macsrule15

Reaction score
depending on how much voltage it uses and how much voltage the other accessory takes you should be fine... it bouls down too if the wiring behind the ciggerete lighter can handle all the voltage but if it is normal draw thats fine like 2 cell phones is perfectly fine ect...

photoguy

Reaction score
I believe its 12v to power the mirror. I'd be using these to connect to the wires:

705002_300.jpg

After further research, I've found that it's been done before for our 6th gens, but no updates were given (problems, etc.):
www.driveaccord.net (the #15 post)

The problem is I have a Gentex 140 mirror. All the other information I've found are for a Gentex 177 mirror. It seems all of them require a 12v source though. Should I be okay using the mirror plus something else? (gps, etc.)

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Huh .. I'm pretty sure it all depends on the amperage too. What you could always do is get an "add-a-fuse" .. I believe that's what they're called.. When in doubt, relay it :D jk .. but yeah, to be honest I think it'll be fine .. all that mirror is, is a mirror with a thermometer and light right ? It shouldn't pull too many amps I don't think .. The cig lighter should work .. If you have any doubts, just try it, and hold the insulated part of the wire as you turn it on and if it starts warming up too much, then you'll know that it's pulling too many amps lol.

photoguy

Reaction score
Huh .. I'm pretty sure it all depends on the amperage too. What you could always do is get an "add-a-fuse" .. I believe that's what they're called.. When in doubt, relay it :D jk .. but yeah, to be honest I think it'll be fine .. all that mirror is, is a mirror with a thermometer and light right ? It shouldn't pull too many amps I don't think .. The cig lighter should work .. If you have any doubts, just try it, and hold the insulated part of the wire as you turn it on and if it starts warming up too much, then you'll know that it's pulling too many amps lol.

Okay, cool. I'll be trying it tomorrow after a short trip to Radio Shack. If all goes well, I'll let you guys know. :lolrun:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Good luck! Interesting in seeing how the mirror turns out, as well as functionality/wiring. Post pics when you're done.

Back