question about rubbing tires

timoteo

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the site and pretty much new to the whole working on cars thing. i got some aftermarket 15inch wheels for my 99 accord and i guess i didnt get the right offset cause my tires stick out about an inch maybe less. It looked funny at first but it kinda grew on me idk why and the car handles quite a bit better with the wider base. the real problem is now when i take hard turns, especially with people in the car, my back tires touch the body. i havent really taken the time to look if it would work, but i may be able to bend the metal so it doesnt touch. i want to get some lowering springs and if i cant bend the metal out of the way do you think it would make it touch more, touch less, or stay the same. thanks for any input

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
What are the specs?

If its not lowered on anything than I find it incredibly hard to believe that 15's would ever come close. Unless its like 15x12 or something completely absurd.

Also, maybe some searching? Cause you're referring to getting your fenders rolled.

timoteo

Reaction score
i dont remember. i can find out tomorrow but i think its like 15x8.25? im not very fluent in speaking wheels lol. ya theres marks on my brand new sumitomos where they are touching. it looks like they are barely touching but i havent really checked. i think tomorrow im going to put a lot of weight on the back of my car until they touch and see how much they touch. do u think sway bars would make a difference?

timoteo

Reaction score
o and another thing. if i was to roll my fenders and say it made them less likely to touch yet at times maybe they would still touch, would that be dangerous for my tires? instead of having a flat surface touch it would now be thin and more sharp. i feel like it would be more likely to pop

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
A sway bar would help. As would a fender roll and tab relocation, but I'm 95% sure in your case none of that is necessary.

But you're still modding the car all wrong man

Edit: o, and serious facepalm on that additional post. :lawl: if I get my fenders rolled the tires might pop.

They aren't balloons dude! :jae:

timoteo

Reaction score
lolol im sorry i mean like overtime. ive been hitting quite often right now so im worried about wearing out my tires and if they are rolled and im still hitting its hitting with a sharper object. i dont want to be wearing out tires all the time thats my biggest concern

timoteo

Reaction score
whats tab relocatin and why do you say im modding it wrong? cause they stick out? i may sell the wheels in the future cause i got them pretty cheap and then get ones that fit right but idk

vtec2000

Reaction score
Wheels are too small. The only ones that would look good in 15 are the oem ones(ex).

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
You're probably on like 0-10 offset on those 15's.

What you need to do to make them work is....

Slam the car, roll fenders, relocate rear bumper tab.
Lower the car, invest in some camber kit, roll and etc
Get smaller tires, 195/65-15, stretch would look kinda lame on 15's though

Are you even lowered at all?

timoteo

Reaction score
nope. i didnt want to get bigger wheels cause i think they look funny. i guess i should have gotten some 16s at least. Ill wait till i need new tires again and then maybe ill get some 16s that fit right and sell the old wheels

Back