Radar Detector Test

blindside

Reaction score
i use to have a cobra detector that i use when i wanted to find a liquor store or a mall.. got tired of it cause i always buy S*** when i see one LOL Now i have a bel and a passport X50 great investment if you ask me, don't have to stop at a mall nowadays... saved my *** a hundred times! :D

angelplus

Reaction score
blindside said:
i use to have a cobra detector that i use when i wanted to find a liquor store or a mall.. got tired of it cause i always buy S*** when i see one LOL Now i have a bel and a passport X50 great investment if you ask me, don't have to stop at a mall nowadays... saved my *** a hundred times! :D

Hahaha, glad to hear you're enjoying it. Mine does detect the local beer stops, and gas stations, but other then that it picks out the false alarms pretty good ;)

and_one said:
i have a whistler 1655...its seems to work pretty good...catches x and k bands a lot in town....of course...and has the vg2 option...still not really firm on how to use it...i kno it is a to prevent the cops from knowing u have a detector but dont really use it...should i? i just use the city mode a lot...in the city

VG2 is a police radar detector detector, which detects your radar detector.. lol try saying that five times fast! So if that goes off, you know that there is a cop in the area within your radar detectors detection range.

Most high end models of radar detectors are immune to the VG2, so the cops get it in the *** either way. But a new VG3 (dont quote me on that name) has been made and currently detects all radar detectors :(

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
just wondering, does anyone know that a police helicopter could figure out how fast you are going? i work at this asian supermarket where there's this retired/on duty police officer to patrol the supermarket. he said that, a helicopter could figure out how fast you are going (mostly on the highway) and he could radio someone on ground to catch you? i thought that was interestin'.

wg2k7

Reaction score
yea have you ever noticed white lines going perpendicular to the road on the highway? those are for the chopper to time you from one to the other and divide whatever distance that is by the time it took you and thats your speed

dynasty

Reaction score
wg2k7 said:
yea have you ever noticed white lines going perpendicular to the road on the highway? those are for the chopper to time you from one to the other and divide whatever distance that is by the time it took you and thats your speed

yep exactly. i guess some people does know about that. LOL. :D

angelplus

Reaction score
wg2k7 said:

Correct. Those lines on the highway are marked an exact distance, and they use the stopwatch method to find out your speed. Very tricky, but it is very rare to see a helicopter doing it.

gamereric1

Reaction score
I managed to purchase one a while back. Awesome thing is. I was going 55 in a 35. After peeling out in a intersection. The second my X8500 Blue went off I dropped down to 35. Cop pulls me over and asks me why I was in a hurry. Great thing was, he didn't get to clock me so what he ended up doing was telling me that I shouldn't squeal my wheels at an intersection. He also said he was doing 50 to catch up to me. But since he never clocked me :) I think part of that was luck though.

And o yea, by the way. LIDAR is still used a lot in Ohio. I see the Ohio State Highway Patrol cars using it mostly. Local cops around where I live often use the Ka band.

Jeffro

Reaction score
This is an ancient thread, but I'll respond anyway... In regards to the fact that they pull that helicopter **** all the time on 83 in Ohio near my house... It's all concrete divider, and the cops sit at the end, so the helicopter just radios the info to them and you're screwed.

Any way, in my opinion Radar Detectors aren't worth the money. They only inform you when you're going to get a ticket, and if you get clocked and pulled over, you are almost guaranteed a ticket if they see one in your car. They aren't illegal, but they will get you a ticket. I'd rather just keep it under 10 over, or less. BTW, Greg and Drew, did you guys see the fatal accident the other day of the two guys racing in our neck of the woods?

wg2k7

Reaction score
haha i know from experience (many times over i might add) that it will inform you of any band, k, x, ka, pop, and even laser, well in advance to stop. my only ticket ive gotten i had a pop signal, but figured it was a false signal and since i wasnt speeding i figured id let it go. then, i ran a yellow light and he said i ran a red (but from his angle of 200 feet in front of me im sure he could see it) o well, thats over with, all im saying is that in my area at least a radar detector will save your bank account if you speed.

Back