Random issues / deaths with my 6GA

SlickSilver

Reaction score
Well, my 1999 EX automatic sedan has gotten a tendency to shut down whenever it feels like while I'm driving.

Today, I was braking at about 35mph and was going to turn left at a stop sign, so I do what considerate people do - I signal. Then BAM the engine dies, and I'm like **** MY LIIIIIIFE. Anyway, I just leave the key there, and then my dashboard lights start to go ape **** on me. It's almost like someone is rapidly turning the key on and off - except I'm not touching anything. In the end, I just put my car back to N and go on my merry way.

I've noticed that issues start to happen when I use my signal lights - on several occasions I use my right signal and then my car actually dies, and then it magically starts up again instantly without the turning of the key - almost like it's bump starting itself.

But it's died without warning as well, as in I'm just driving without using turn signals and such.

It doesn't happen often (like once), but as I was driving, my needles for my speedometer and tachometer went down to zero, and then worked again within a few seconds.

And once it was idling pretty oddly, I would turn the car off after a drive, then start it back up.. and it would try to crank.. attempt to start and then die. eventually it started up, but then it kept a really low idle (about less than 500 according to tachometer) and wasn't smooth at all.

My father works at a Honda dealership, so he's going to ask around his workplace and might take the car to the dealership to take a looksey, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on what you think is up.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

Sorry for the long read, but I wanted to give you all the known issues I've noticed, maybe they have some correlation with one another.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
lol my car used to do that, except not with the signals just randomly. took it to my mechanic and he just gave it a tune up and it started working fine again. Not sure what all he changed though.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
judging by the flickering gauge cluster ... it sounds like the ignition switch module ... have ur dad check at the honda dealer ... have them check if the ignition switch module recall has been done yet ... you will need to give them your vin #

nyknick1015

Reaction score
check if its been done... if its doing that now then chances are the recall hasnt been done yet. You can do it your self or you can have honda do it for free for you... I had them do it

Back