Rays Evo 3 PCE Acquired! - need advice on tyre selection and structure theory

rdxd

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Thanks to your input on my previous thread I came to a decision to get the Rays Evolution 3 piece.

Wheels aren't in fantastic condition but what else can you expect, they were manufactured in 1995!

Tried rolling my fenders with the roller tool - failed - car too low - burnt my leg with the heat gun - so i'm gnna get that done professionally

Specs - 17x8 front +44
- 17x9 rear +44

**also received 25mm spacers which I am going to run

The 9" rears need replacing due to one burst tyre and other low tread (255/40/17 - in pics)

8" fronts are currently running 215/45/17 and have 95% tread.

I have several questions and queries which I'm hoping you all can help me out with

-What tyre specs should I run?
-Should I consider selling the existing good tyres on the 8" fronts and get a different spec?
-I'm going to polish them using 20-CG5-01's DIY and will need to take off the nuts around the circumference of the rim to sand the rim - can I do this with the tyre staying on the rim?

Keep in mind this is my daily ride so I need functionality and ride comfort!

My FenderToGround - 24.4 inches - all round

Thanks everyone - looking forward to the input :thumbsup:

After a clean with soap and degreaser here's what they look like

IMAG2832_zpsfc3f64d7.jpg

fender mission abort - car too low - roller wont touch the fender lul

IMG_20131121_131909_zps2558eade.jpg

A beautiful testfit

IMAG2837_zpscdedddf8.jpg

close up
IMAG2863_zps9eca73d4.jpg

and here are the studs blocking my path to sanding - can i simply take em off from the back while the tyre is on just so i can sand the rim surface?

IMAG2864_zps5c4562e5.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Congrats on the pickup.

Rims don't look half bad.

Tires -
Front - leave the ones you have on there.
Rears - 225 45 17

If you are running full coils, raise them up so that the roller works. Although I thought you could adjust the height of the roller as well?

rdxd

Reaction score
Congrats on the pickup.

Rims don't look half bad.

Tires -
Front - leave the ones you have on there.
Rears - 225 45 17

If you are running full coils, raise them up so that the roller works. Although I thought you could adjust the height of the roller as well?

Thanks - after they're polished they should look mint

That seems like a good spec to run - will look into the 225/45s

Yes running full coils but didnt want to go through the hassle of raising and lowering just to roll the fenders esp since the new wheels aren't ready to be put on yet.
Height of the roller was at the minimum and still didnt fit haha -

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
At 24.4" you should be fine with the current front tire specs, rear I'd do 225/45 as Syk suggested.

You do not want to take apart a 3pc rim with inflated tires on barrels w/no face, get the tires removed before disassembling the rims. Your bolts may be different, mine were 8mm.

With the car jacked up there is nothing to compress the suspension, it should lower thus letting the fender roller reach. If you still need more room, just lower each corner 1/2" - 3/4"...I think I rolled my fenders with the car sitting at 25" or so. Why pay someone to roll your fenders when your suspension is easily adjustable for you to do it yourself.

Last edited:

rdxd

Reaction score
At 24.4" you should be fine with the current front tire specs, rear I'd do 225/45 as Syk suggested.

You do not want to take apart a 3pc rim with inflated tires on barrels w/no face, get the tires removed before disassembling the rims. Your bolts may be different, mine were 8mm.

With the car jacked up there is nothing to compress the suspension, it should lower thus letting the fender roller reach. If you still need more room, just lower each corner 1/2" - 3/4"...I think I rolled my fenders with the car sitting at 25" or so. Why pay someone to roll your fenders when your suspension is easily adjustable for you to do it yourself.

okay thanks - it seems the lip of the wheel is already polished and I deem it relatively clean after applying paintstripper to rid of all the Sh-t on it previously, so I may not have to take the wheel apart to polish it.

As for the fenders - issue is that I've borrowed all the tools from a mate and didnt' want to consume time by raising the car - zz I might take another look at raising the suspension and making the rollers fit if i cant find a good price to get it done pro - i'm going overseas soon so i'm pretty short on time~!

rdxd

Reaction score
raised the coilovers - got the fender roll done on the rears!

Back