Really Urgent: Idle problem

Apl420

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can I please get some help finding the ECU fuse to reset the idle? My car is '01 accord coupe EX.
I've been searching through google, youtube, and forums for the methods but it's not very clear. I looked at my fuse box under the hood on passenger side, and there's nothing labeled as ECU/clock.

I know the alternative is disconnect negative terminal of battery for 5min, pump break couple of times, then start car and let idle for 10min...but I'm trying to avoid this method right now because my speedometer wasn't working for awhile after disconnecting my battery last year to install the stereo.

The story:

There has been some strange problems with my car since the vehicle burglary 5 days ago; only thing stolen was my pioneer stereo (sigh). They left the dome light on all night (can battery be a problem?). I moved my car, and everything seems to work fine. Next day, I notice my turning signal wasn't functioning. It's working now and I didn't really do anything.

The big problem that concern me now is the idle. Yesterday when I started up the car, it would idle at 2000, slowly increased to ~2500. Put on reverse and drive around and it goes down to normal ~1200. It revs up to 3000 when I put on parking. Today when I started up my car, it was ~1800 then down to 1500. Thought it fixed itself like the turning signal problem. Moved my car to park elsewhere, but the idle kept fluctuating between 1500-1800. The engine kept revving up/down and it scares me.

I have to commute 40 miles to school tomorrow then back, and I'm scared something would go wrong. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Dnguyen211

Reaction score
Clean the throttle body and IACV, the ECU fuse may be on the drivers side, or disconnect the ECU connectors

Apl420

Reaction score
I have thought of cleaning the IACV and FITV, but I'm having trouble locating that too lol
Any diagram? :)

Apl420

Reaction score
It's a V6.
I saw the tutorial thread in the DIY section, which looks like what's on youtube vid... but I'm not seeing any piece/part like that lol
Is it on the back or left/right side of the engine? A lot of instruction mention the back but I'm not seeing anything like the FITV
I'm still new to all these stuff under the hood haha

Last edited:

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Dissconnect the battery for 10 mins then reconnect and start car don't touch the gas let it idle for 15 mins

I don't know if this is the real way I read something about it worked for my 4cyl

Does the speedometer run threw the ecu? anybody know

Last edited:

Dnguyen211

Reaction score
The throttle body is connected to the air box with the black piping and connected to the side of the intake manifold... It should be 4 bolts to take it off along with some coolant hoses, vaccum lines and plugs.

james'99

Reaction score
The fuse you are looking for the reset the ECU would be the backup/clock fuse in the passenger side fuse box.

How does the hazard switch harness look? This will cause issues with turn signals.

Inspect all vacuum lines and consider cleaning your IACV to fix your idle issues.

Under load it is okay?

Last edited:

Apl420

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys!
After looking more into this problem, it really seems like a dirty TB/IACV. Going to have to clean those, which means I'll have to disconnect the battery that I was trying to avoid haha

Hopefully it will be safe to drive the long commute tomorrow, then I'll look more into taking those parts out.

Last edited:

Apl420

Reaction score

Update:

Stilll having problem with idle. On car start up, the idle goes from 2000 to 2500, then it would constantly rev up/down between 1200-2000.
I cleaned the IACV and the TB. They were very dirty and persistent to get off. Also noticed there were small cracks in the air intake boot; filled gaps with Permatex ultra grey gasket maker, and then wrapped around with black tape for 24hours.

Any idea what else could contribute to this?
I already made sure there is no air bubble in the coolant system

Back