rear brake question?

redhondapwns

Reaction score
hey all. I replaced my brakes last summer. and i relpaced them with all new rotors and fresh pads. today i heard a squel and figured it might be because there was dirt in there making the noise because i knew i had brakes. I took the rim off and saw that brake was down rly low. so now i need new brakes.I looked at the front brakes and they still look good. i have plenty of pad left. my question is do the rear brakes seem to wear faster than the fronts? and it's only been a year with these brakes. and i paid about $40 each. so i didn't get the cheap stuff. and i didn't get the most expensive either.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
did the rear pads wear evenly? are both pads (per wheel) worn the same? are all the rear pads worn the same?

thats where i'd look first...since a year is nowhere near the life of normally-used brakes.

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
i thought the fronts wear out faster because it is a front wheel drive car just like tires. did you replace it or the mechanic do it for you. if it was your mechanic he could of been one of those shady people who replace it with old brake pads. it also depends how you drive and where you drive. hills, braking fast, etc. but i could be wrong.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
your front pads are suppose to wear faster then your rears. i had my car for 2-3 years now and i still havent changed my rears. still about 1/3 left. and my fronts been changed like 3-5 times already.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
+1 on fronts going faster. Do you drive with your ebrake up or anything? And like Ryan said, check for uneven wear.

DrOwZee

Reaction score
yea. you might have pulled up your ebrake and forgot bout it and drove with your ebrake up. i know from experience...:hide:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
errrmmmm...our ebrakes are the "tooth" type, inside the hub assembly...not the "pad" type that uses the pads/shoes...

finch13

Reaction score
errrmmmm...our ebrakes are the "tooth" type, inside the hub assembly...not the "pad" type that uses the pads/shoes...

Only on the EX's with discs... my rear drums use the shoes for the ebrake.

Sounds like the pads were in too tight, a slide pin or both were dry, driving with ebrake up, etc.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
ya...he was referring to rear discs so i slimmed it down :lawl:

drum brakes...gtfo :lawl:

Back