rear camber kit DIY

minituck04

Reaction score
this will take you roughly about an hour. depending on how much you drink and how fast. also if your friends are there and are being lazy aSSes

camberkitdiy001-1.jpg

my 99 cg5. you will need one of these to put on the camber kit. putting on the rear camber kit so i can get an alignment. first begin by placing the rear of the car on jackstands, chock blocks up front and a jack under the subframe just in case. dont want your car fallin on your head. cuz aleve wont fix that.

camberkitdiy024.jpg

tools you will need. in order of importance from left to right. beer(i chose budlight but you can subsitute for you fave beer), impact sockets, rachet wrench, your wheel key if you have it, hammer, ball joint seperator, screwdriver or needle nose pliers for cotter pin, impact gun, 2 adjustable wrenches for the camber kit and a 15mm wrench. jack and jackstands too

camberkitdiy006.jpg

the piece you will be replacing. if your wondering its the upper bar that straight not at an angle.

camberkitdiy009.jpg

camberkitdiy010.jpg

because of clearence problems with the bolt. i had to loosen the bolts on the sub frame. drop it like 1/2 inch also helped me with clearance problems with the fender lip. ill explain later. also if you dont wanna lose your lugnuts put them on the wheel studs. also helps in not getting yoru clothes or skin snagged on them.

camberkitdiy012.jpg

camberkitdiy013.jpg

first take your 17mm socket and loosen the castle nut. then take your balljoint seperator and separte the ball joint from the spindle. may take some effort on this part

camberkitdiy007.jpg

you will need a 17mm socket for the nut. and a 15mm for the bolt. use a ratchet wrench on the 17mm along with a cheater bar or some pipe or something of that nature. and a 15mm wrench. nothing else will fit. i tried with no luck

camberkitdiy021.jpg

reason i dropped the subframe. not to much space to work with. this is the drivers side. all pics taken were on the passengers side. those are the gas tank hoses and filler neck tube

camberkitdiy015.jpg

here you see what i was talking bout. this is after i dropped the subframe. made it alot easier to get in there.

camberkitdiy016.jpg

heres a look at the stock arm next to the adjustable one. once you have the stock one in your hand place the new one next to it and adjust it out to where they are the same size from center of the balljoint (look at the ring up top) to the center of the whole.

camberkitdiy017-1.jpg

here it is installed. and you can see clearly in this pic the ring i was talking bout.

camberkitdiy019.jpg

this is what i was refering to earlier. my left side rubbed like a mo fo. so i trimmed almost the whole fender lip and the right side stayed untouched. so what i did when i lowered the subframe was to pull it as far right of the car as i could. there is 1/4" of play. hey something is better than nothing. i think now it may clear the lil tab that holds the bumper to the body so i wont have to shave it down any more.

tighten everything back up. the instructions say to put the weight of the car on the suspension then tighten. so just take the jack and lift up from under the link bars and then tighten. then go back and recheck what you just tighten just incase you forgot one. its your suspension your talking bout. dont want to end up in the wall cuz your **** fell apart.

camberkitdiy020-1.jpg

reinstall your wheels and tighten lugnuts! almost done. set the car down. and go grab a beer and drink it. thanks for your time in checkin out my diy. hope this helps you guys. if not its still cool. thought i would contribute to the forum.

camberkitdiy022.jpg

me, my beer and the shocker. :beer:

Last edited:

minituck04

Reaction score
yeah and install was a cinch. only problem i ran into was that the drivers side need some washers since when i put on the nut it was lower than the 2 holes for the cotter pin. so i just put some brass ones on there and was set.

minituck04

Reaction score
thanks guys. i tried my best to remember to take pics between chugging down beers at 9am. bwahahaha. thanks for the props. i have pics from when i trimmed my fenderlips so thatll be going up soon.

chapin

Reaction score
great write up very helpful, Have you done the front camber kit?

Dracord

Reaction score
Thanks for the DIY! I have to do this (I had a shop install the first set) but now the boot is all cracked. Is there anything to prevent cracking? I had the SPC the first time

Back