Rear suspension

rafalc

Reaction score
Tires are getting cupped. When pushing down on the rear, there isn't much play and no bouncing around. I know the rear is much different than the front as far as suspension components go. In the front I replaced the control arms (including upper ball joints) and lower ball joints. But what should I replace in the rear.....or better yet, how can I visually tell what needs to be replaced? Should I only look at the bushing wear and decide from there? There is a few links in the rear and I'm just trying find out how to tell whats bad and what isnt.

Any suggestions?

truWarier02

Reaction score
Hmm, blown shock? When I pushed down on the rear, there was not much play/bounce as well but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't blown or on it's way out.

That's what happened to me too. The rears were cupping pretty bad on the edges.

Do the rears rebound well when you go over uneven pavement?

rafalc

Reaction score
Hmm, blown shock? When I pushed down on the rear, there was not much play/bounce as well but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't blown or on it's way out.

That's what happened to me too. The rears were cupping pretty bad on the edges.

Do the rears rebound well when you go over uneven pavement?

They do rebound well. Thanks for the idea though

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Can cupping be due to toe settings ? I think I have pretty bad toe wear, and some cupping. I'll put a picture when I get home.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Yeah, it could be due to incorrect toe settings. As far as I know, cupping can be due to low-inflated tires as well.

All the more reason to check your tire pressure more often than not.

lifelongbread

Reaction score
first off get your front end checked out make sure there is nothing wrong. then get into a good habit of rotating your tires every 3-5k miles. if you don't rotate your tires they going to start chopping in the rear. shocks really wont cause the small chopping on the inner edges, but it will cause the tire to get for lack of a better term "wavy-ish".

but just keep your tires rotated and make sure your front end is tight. get it aligned.

Back