Recently Plast Dip'd my grill..

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Daniel, looks good. Flows perfectly with the rest of the bumper......until you get fogs, lol.

Between you and Chris, I would say you guys have definitely locked up the 'modern' day slowaccord/red02accord tag-team.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
you masked behind the grill too right? i wouldnt want that stuff clogging my condenser :skurred:
i think im gonna get a some of the new metallic gunmetal plasti and do my trim in that to match the wheels ill be adding(just got money for the tires, been waiting foreeever)
looks good though!

I didn't mask behind the grill. Truthfully though, unless you are spraying much closer than the over spray was to my condesor, it either dries before it settles on it, or is so thin, it has little to no insulating properties. I did the mufflers on my 03 CLS just to see what they would look like. Over time the heat actually made it fade away. Almost like reverse application. Wierd-

I'm anxiuos to see the gunmetal window trim! Be sure to post pics.

Daniel, looks good. Flows perfectly with the rest of the bumper......until you get fogs, lol.

Between you and Chris, I would say you guys have definitely locked up the 'modern' day slowaccord/red02accord tag-team.

Mo-Slow FTW:kenny:

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i think i'm going to do my hood with plastidip... gonna read up on it

how easy does it peel?

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
i think i'm going to do my hood with plastidip... gonna read up on it

how easy does it peel?

As long as you a pply a good thick coat, not bad at all. Has a tendancy to stick to rough surfaces that can be a pain to tediously take take off.

agginline86

Reaction score
it peels off easy
i had my stockies plasti-dipped for a few days and had no trouble getting it off

they actually make a "glossifier" plastidip, would make the gunmetal look pretty sick i think. essentially the plastidip equivalent of clear coat to my understanding.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I keep wanting to spray parts of my trim, and I know it's safe...but I just can't bring myself to just spray paint on the car and believe it will just peel off with no harm done. Irrational fear.

Btw, r these things sold in rattle cans?
Yup rattle cans

I think that's all anyone ever uses for dipping, is rattlecans.

... I did not sand. Best part about the stuff. Just make sure the surface is clean and apply liberally. Thicker coats make it a lot easier to peel off later.

I didn't think you did, with a freshly painted car like that.

...(just got money for the tires, been waiting foreeever)

I was wondering what ever happened with that haha.

Last edited:

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
FYI to any interested: I have found in my own experience that although Plasti Dip removes fairly easy, there are a couple of things that could make life easier for one when removing it:
-Spray thicker than you would paint
- A clean, smooth surface is always easier to peel it off of later
-It doesn't hurt to apply a wax coat a couple days in advance. This works on the same idea as applying the 3M clear bra. In which they recommend treating it with wax prior to application. It smooths the surface over and aids in easy removal later.
-If you tape, use the good stuff. Either green automotive tape or the 3M blue, "delicate surface" tape that you can find at Lowe's.

I have heard of this stuff leaving a light etching in the paint. But never had it happen to me. I would also assume that the surface was not prepped correctly.

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
Win. I'd definitely do this if I wasn't painting my whole ride black. Super sexy with the coupe bumper minus fog lights.

Back