Removing crankshaft pulley

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
I'm changing my water pump this week and have a few quick questions to be on the safe side.

First, and I feel like this is a stupid question, do I turn the crank pulley bolt left or right to loosen it? It's a JDM h23a vtec, but should still be the same direction as an F or H series, since they're all reverse-rotation, correct?

Second, what tool do you guys use to remove it? I used to work in a shop where the boss always used a 1/2 inch impact gun, but people say that's lazy, you can break something, and so on. The tools at autozone are apparently only for Chrysler or GM. There's this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234768644&sr=8-1&tag=5336118848-20 which I'm currently leaning towards. I don't want to get one from the dealership because everything's crazy expensive. What do you recommend? Should I just use an impact gun?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

hotaccord243

Reaction score
The crank bolt is left to loosen and right to tighten.

I use the crank tool that you linked on amazon, and a very large breaker bar with extensions to remove it. Seems to work great for me.

Hopefully that helps!

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Thanks! I just ordered it, should be here between the 10th&12th. Should've ordered it sooner, the days are getting colder and colder now :blah:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
You would need one of these tools to correctly tighten the crank pulley bolt back anyway. As far removal, have heat on hand( a lot of it) an impact wrench with 19mm (IIRC) and a LOT of patience. A cheater bar wouldn't hurt either.

Back