Removing Front Center Interior Trim Panel (below radio)

blueguitar322

Reaction score
I'm trying to change my A/C in-cabin filters, a process that involves removing the glove box. There are three screws that hold the trim below the glove box in place: two in the passenger side fuse box and one underneath the front center interior trim panel (the one below the double-din radio slots).

My Haynes guide - and everything I've found online - says to use a flathead screwdriver and pop the two plastic clips at the top of the panel and then it comes right out. Well...I managed to pop those two out, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get the panel off. I've tried tugging on it pretty hard, but something else must be holding it down because it's not budging. I can see the screw I need to get to, but can't bend the plastic enough to get to it; the panel itself needs to come off.

Does anyone have a tip that might help me out?

Accordingly

Reaction score
I broke that last screw off (on axident). Good news is that all the clips still hold it secure and you can't tell its broken, lol. So if you get frustrated and break it, its all good. Sorry I can't really help though.

Jeffro

Reaction score
There's 4 clips on that panel. 2 on the top and two down below in the crevice. Pull basically straight out (towards the shifter) and they'll release. I've taken mine off a million times. Keep pullin'. The thing is not to bend the clips or you'll never be able to line it up again.

Last edited:

mxmaniacx250

Reaction score
yes, also if you can take the radio out and just pop them out from the inside with a screw driver, that works pritty well

rustyxsurfx08

Reaction score
when i do it i have to put my fingers under the bottom of the panel and in the top at the same time and pull out towards the shifter. its kinda confusing the first time but once you know what your doing its easy

cliffsta

Reaction score
Turn the key and put the car in D-1 to get the shifter out of your way, to begin with. It has always just came right out for me. Just reach your hand all the way up in there, and there's almost like a handle back there. YOu gotta pull down and out at the same time.

blueguitar322

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys - I managed to get it off yesterday thanks to some of the comments.

The glove box was being stubborn so I ended up accidentally breaking off one of the plastic clips that holds it in! But there's still 7 of the original 8 screws to hold it in so no biggie.

Finally go the A/C filters changed - and boy, were they dirty. Tons of leaves and dirt outside the filters, which themselves were almost pitch black. I'm probably getting 2-3x the volume of air blown at me now...which is nice - means I can keep the A/C on "2" instead of "4" and save gas money.

kamozee

Reaction score
I did this DIY myself and caused my Viper alarm to act up. I probably yanked a wire in the process. Cost me $20 to get them to reset the alarm.

All I remember is this took a long time. But it was worth it because those filters were dutty!

mossberg

Reaction score
I struggled with the clips holding the bottom of the panel in. Gave up on trying to do it by hand got in there with a pry bar - a whole lot easier. A long pry bar with minimal bend near the tip would be perfect.

First pic shows the left rear clip and where it inserts. Second pic shows the housing the clip inserts into - that's what I used the pry bar to press against to pry out the clip.

Back