Removing heavy duty double stick tape from paint.

Phut

Reaction score
I'd like to know what is the best and efficient way to remove 3M heavy duty double stick tape? I had to remove a side skirt and my front lip to get repainted and the tape is a PITA to remove right now.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heat gun, plastic scraper or finger, goo gone or tar/bug remover for the residue.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Call 3m see if they recommend a fiberglass/urethane/abs safe (whatever you have) release agent

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
First make sure it's heated.
Or at least warm outside B4 ou do it.
Peel off as much as possible. Then use bug/tr remover to get the rest off

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
goo gone has always worked for me. just have some wax as well to clean up the spot after youve taken off all the glue.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
All I know is you better make sure you get EVERY single bit of that glue off before your paint or it'll be a nightmare. Sand, goo gone, brake fluid, wd40, windex or even pick up some paint cleaner that auto body shops use before sanding so nothing gets rubbed in.

Phut

Reaction score
my motive to remove the tape is so that i got a clean surface to remount my side skirt and front lip back on to with fresh tape. right now, i got the double stick tape on my front bumper and inside my driver side door jambs. i picked up some bug and tar remover, then i'm also going to pick up some 3M adhesive remover since people are telling me it works better. i guess patience wasn't with me since i tried to get the stuff off before i had to go to work.

Back