removing oil filter

thatonedude

Reaction score
ok so i was reading my owners manual and they said that a special wrench is needed to take off the oil filter is this true??? its on pg.211 if you want to see for yourself

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
nah you don't really need it. just wait for the car to cool down so the oil isnt too hot and you can just grab it with your hand and twist hard. the wrench is just for filters that have been put on overly tight and you cant remove it with your hand. when you put on the new filter tho, rub some oil over the rubber seal before you put it on.

Jeffro

Reaction score
Ya, a filter wrench doesn't hurt, but there's other ways too. A filter wrench is like, $5 at any autoparts store, you just have to figure out what size you need...

dynasty

Reaction score
if you can't get the oil filter out and there's no other way you can take it out, use a screw driver, poke a hole through the filter, and twist it. this is the least way i would do it if i can't use my hands or my filter wrench won't work.

Mojeans69

Reaction score
Get i fram filter with the grip FTMFW i love those things so easy too get off even with oil on your hands

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
A FRAM filter will never touch my car, ugh!

i know ppl are hatin on fram because of that filter comparison thread... but it honestly didn't change my thoughts a whole lot. i think the END results should be compared when evaluating whether the filter is good or bad, like how much "gunk" each respective filter ends up removing and collecting from the oil.

Back