rockauto

Pizzaman

Reaction score
1998-2002 HONDA ACCORD 2.3L 4CYL DIRECT FIT CATALYTIC CON... (261121570261)
Member id premium.exhaust | Feedback Score Of 132 | 98.5%

sorry listing was old, but i was real happy with the shipping and product, no more CEL, id just search the seller if interested.

what catback you going with?

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Thanks for that ill look into it. This reminded me I have to call converter guys

I'm going with the yonaka ws2 rep cat back. Read nothing but good reviews and it sounds good reviews

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Ive dealt with RockAuto several times and have not been disappointed. Once I received a broken part and gave them a call and I had a new part in hand 3 days later. Great customer service on their part.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
called converter guys today. you have to take a picture of the cat, email it to the guy, he will then let you know how much its worth, then you send it in with a copy of your DL. also the price is accurate for 98-02 accord 4cyl

schmiddr2

Reaction score
So if the OEM cat is worth $245, the High flow helps with performance and is $105, why not change it out?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Awesome.

I had found a Magnaflow one with the flanges on it, for more, but to get a shop to do it, may cost around the same anyway.

Thanks for the info about that shop, will have to get in touch with them.

Jimsun

Reaction score
So I wondered why people would pay so much for used or broken cats

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_total_amount_of_platinum_in_a_typical_catalytic_converter

I found a site claiming that a catalytic converter can carry b/t 3-7 ounces of platinum per converter. According to this site(wired.com), platinum is going at a rate of 2075 dollars per oz. This means you would at least have 6225 and up to 14 and a half thousand dollars if you could harvest the platinum purely. The next question is how do you get the platinum in a catalytic converter out of it to get this reward. Stolen catty's go for 200, but I'd rather not go that route. The site also mentione other metals involved in the production of converters such as rhodium and palladium are going for 445 and 7300 an ounce. I might have to recant on that whole not theiving idea.== Answer ==
There are usually about 3 grams of platinum in a catalytic converter. There are 31.1 grams in an ounce. Platinum is at $2000/ounce so you can figure right at $200 worth. Please note manufacturers are starting to use other materials so you may have very little, if any, platinum.

There are 28 grams per ounce not 31.1.

CORRECTIONS TO YOUR ANSWER

In every Kg of honetcomb which is the filter you find on average 1.5g of platinum (Pt), 0.5g of palladium (Pd) and 0.1 rhodium (Rh). Some catalytic converters have a heavy honeycomb while others are light depends on the engine size, if the engine is big car companies tend to use a bigger honeycomb. Regarding the ounce the internation ounce weight is 31.1g but the US ounce weight is 28g.

***CORRECTIONS TO YOUR ANSWER****

There are in fact 31.1 grams to a TROY OUNCE, which is the measurement used for precious metals. There are usually between 3 to 7 grams per catalytic converter, which is coated on a honeycomb ceramic substrate. There can be up to 15 grams of platinum in large truck catalytic converters.

*Clarification*

There are two types of converters, ones with the honycomb structures, and ones with platinum-coated pellets. The pellets are easy to harvest, but if you're going to havest them, make sure they're your own!

Back