Roll Cage

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Its a roll cage, not the full cage with welded doors and everything

Oh okay, then sure. I mean, atleast you will be hella safe. Maybe insurance will be cheaper, maybe in the future u can track your car if u do some serious suspension mods and maybe some performance mods.

RickyG

Reaction score
Roll cages in most states are illegal for street use. I know it doesnt make sense until you think about it. When on a track with a roll cage you're wearing a helmet, on the street you wont be. You hit your head on a roll bar with a helmet no big deal. You hit your head on a roll bar with out a helmet, concusion or death.

But I think a loop in the back would be cool.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
its illegal because roll cages are for off road use only... some cars come stock with semi roll cages like the miata and the z3... in an accord, your gonna get some hassle for it because ur gonna look like a street racer for sure but better safe than sorry. And there are places where you can get it checked out and get a DOT approval. There is one place in queens i know you can have it checked out, its a NYS inspection center

the only reason why i would say do it is because once you have it down pact, i guarantee you people are going to start asking for your service to make them and a special price. But make sure u use the right type of material. Ive seen some people use regular pipe 2in or 2 1/4 from lowes or home depot but to get its rigidity, you have to fill it with this foam that is light weight but once it gets in there, it gets super hard and almost impossible to break

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
You got my vote. Good project.

It will be interesting to see if you can fabricate a street roll bar from start to installation at LESS cost than the Autopower Street Roll Bar.

Also, I would WELD in your roll bar. From what I've read, bolting the roll bar to a thin metal body panel may not be good. It could fail under impact from a roll over by pushing through the body panel with the bolt in mounting plate. Then, the roll bar would just collapse along with the body panel. If its welded to a point on the frame it should hold up much better for a roll over accident.

I'm no expert though....

Any fabricators/welders have better advice than me?

750chop

Reaction score
It will hold up it you bolt it to the floor because itd 2 or 3 layers thick there near the rocker. You got to make sure the bar has a big enough of a foot on it to disperse the impact. if you buttweld the tube to the floor the welds could fail and push it thru the floor, better to bolt it in using 4 bolts on a square foot. make sure to use grade 8 hardware.

krylonking104

Reaction score
ive recieved alot of good feedback... i did a bit of research for material cost and i realized that the cost of the DOM tubing that i would need for the cage is about 8 bucks a linear foot. my design is approx 42 linear feet.... so we are looking at about 340 in material plus cost of welding and bending the tubing...

FML im a college student... and i will prob get laid off from my job at Pratt and Whitney due to the cut in funds on the F22 engine program...

great idea to entertain tho!!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can cage the back half of the car without door bars and still be fine. Just dont try and carry passengers.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Roll cages in most states are illegal for street use. I know it doesnt make sense until you think about it. When on a track with a roll cage you're wearing a helmet, on the street you wont be. You hit your head on a roll bar with a helmet no big deal. You hit your head on a roll bar with out a helmet, concusion or death.

you could also hit your head on the b pillar and get a concussion or death.

some cars come stock with semi roll cages like the miata and the z3/QUOTE]

thats because theyre convertibles.

Back