Say I were to get subs. . .

beardohio

Reaction score
. . for little to no money.

I have a stock EX, what all would I need to buy to get the two 12"s working?
Box, amp, of course, but what about my head unit? Does it have a hookup for subs??

UPDATE ON PAGE 9

Last edited:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
the factory headunit does not have rca's for the subs, but you can purchase and inline rca adapter and hook it up that way.
you wont have as great of tuning capabilities, but it would work.
You also have to run a power cable from the battery to the amp. For that you could just buy an amp wiring kit.

Edit: They are called line output converters. Here is an example of what you need. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html?tp=1276

Last edited:

beardohio

Reaction score
the factory headunit does not have rca's for the subs, but you can purchase and inline rca adapter and hook it up that way.
you wont have as great of tuning capabilities, but it would work.
You also have to run a power cable from the battery to the amp. For that you could just buy an amp wiring kit.

Edit: They are called line output converters. Here is an example of what you need. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html?tp=1276

Is this all fairy easy and doable myself? What kind of limitations am I really going to see using the stock head unit?

Also, anyone have any info and good but cheap amp choices for 2 12in BAJA subs??

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
To me its not difficult to wire a system up, but i've done it many many times. Its up to you, if you feel comfortable doing something like that.
The line output converter can just be spliced into the rear speakers. And then really the other wire you'll have to run to the front of the car will be the power cable. you can either find a place to run it through the firewall, or drill a new hole and use a grommet. Its up to you on that one. Then the ground can be ran somewhere in the trunk, just make sure it is a clean metal surface.
There is several ways to wire up speakers, dealing with ohms and whatnot. Usually the amp will come with a couple diagrams you can use.

beardohio

Reaction score
Very helpful, thank you! 2 more questions if you don't mind-
I can just run out somewhere or order any generic box for 2 12s right?
And then, as far as these particular subs, couldn't find much on BAJA so what is a fairly priced amp for the correct wattage?

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Yea you can buy a generic box for 2 12's.
as for the amp. it really depends on what the subs can handle. But with two 12's you'd be okay with a 400 or 600 watt 2channel amp.

beardohio

Reaction score
Wow cool, this is all pretty reassuring haha, just have to drop a few bucks on the amp and box.
When you talked about losing done tuning capabilities running through re stock head unit, what does that really mean?

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Well most aftermarket stereos have a sub woofer output which you can tune like you do your factory speakers, ex. adjust bass and what not. So that's why you'll have limited control.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
Trust me if you want subs, get an aftermarket deck or you won't be too satisfied... Hardest part for me when I installed my system was getting through the firewall. Just make sure you run the power cable down the drivers side of the car and the RCA's down the passenger side

Back