Scared Sh*tless Fishtailing

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why any cars are front wheel drive. It makes total sense for all cars to be rear wheel. The rear axle doesn't need to turn so powering that makes the car more efficient and powerful. While FWD, on the other hand, you have to power wheels that need to turn which means another bend point to each wheel which decreases torque and the overall efficiency of the car. I forgot what the name was wheel the front of the car has the fishtail effect but there is a reason you don't hear about it much.

FWD cars handle better for safety reasons. The engine is right over the driving wheels which create better traction in slippery or icey conditions. There are other reasons for FWD cars such as a transaxle, saving space and weight, to increase fuel efficiency.

RWD cars are better performance cars as all the power to the front wheels creates torque steer in high acceleration. Which is why slower family cars which care more about luxury and fuel economy are FWD, they won't need to go fast enough to create torque steer.

There are many other reasons for FWD but that's just the jist.

Namboyz

Reaction score
tiress as stated by everyone else. one place where you shouldnt cheap out. good luck and be safe!

Reaction score
I agree tires work wonders but be sure that when you get the new shoes for your car you have it aligned and balanced it's extremely easy to destroy a set of great tires in a very short time if your cars alignment is all out of wack. Then you'll be worse off than when you started and poorer too! :dunce:

PurpleSh4rk

Reaction score
Any recommendation on some good tires that will last a long time (>50,000mi)? I am looking for tires in a 225/40-18 size. I've heard good things about the FK452 tires. Price should be around $150 per tire.

PurpleSh4rk

Reaction score
FWD cars handle better for safety reasons. The engine is right over the driving wheels which create better traction in slippery or icey conditions. There are other reasons for FWD cars such as a transaxle, saving space and weight, to increase fuel efficiency.

RWD cars are better performance cars as all the power to the front wheels creates torque steer in high acceleration. Which is why slower family cars which care more about luxury and fuel economy are FWD, they won't need to go fast enough to create torque steer.

There are many other reasons for FWD but that's just the jist.
Yeah. I just went on a FWD bashing tirade for a second there. :eek:

Millz

Reaction score
my current ones are junk. My tires will hop on a dry day if I press the accelerator to fast. Do you think the issue is completely because of the tires?

Dude, honestly?

Yes it is,
Change the tires.

STOP NEGLECTING YOUR TIRES people, i get rage when i read **** like this
/thread

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
buy a subie..... :coffee:

Its funny how AWD people think they are invisible when it snows or there is bad weather. But I do admit they handle MUCH better. But you can still drift an AWD car sideways pretty easily if you push it too far.

FWD should cause a lot of understeer around corners if your accelerating too much out of corners, because the front wheels loose traction your car naturally wants to go straight.

RWD, is the complete oppposite...too much oversteer because you can break the rear wheels loose and cause the *** end to swing around. In my own experience, I think RWD vehicles come out of corners way better than FWD and if driven right, handle better.

Bottom line is, if your swinging the *** end of a FWD car around, u need new tires. Its not rocket science, unless your on a race track.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
And if you're already having problems with oversteer as it is right now, DO NOT BUY A REAR SWAY BAR! the last thing you need is to stiffen up your rear suspension.

Back