Scaring newbies away with turbo build price

rooky

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have always observe that new members join our forum in the quest for horsepower. I would always send a welcome message and soon answer their question like "will installing a high flow cat-back exhaust system give me more Horsepower?" My response was "sure 0-5 HP." Then the junior post again "how do I turbo my car?" Other senior members and myself would post a parts list and turbo related thread. Junior member again ask "how about a G23 swap?" Jesus Christ! :snoopfacepalm:millions of g23 swap thread pending @http://www.6thgenaccord.com Then Junior member ask "can I swap a v6 J series in my 4 cylinder Honda?" :gathering: Then I go :perkinswhatever:
The point is most people are on a quest to get the most HP gain for no money, like really:roflbow: The next best thing they do is start :rice: the **** out the Accord.:roflbow:

New members keep dreaming on about that future MUGEN POWA.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I started setting my goals low. That way I can complete them or go above and beyond. It seems whenever I have high goals I never complete them but when I don't expect much, that's when I start really spending money and getting sh*t done. Whenever I meet someone starting to build a car I tell them to do the same lol.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
It would be nice to save some $ on cars, but most of the time it's a good idea for not cheaping out on the actual quality of the parts.

It's b/c such low quality parts usually don't meet the oem spec, and your life in the vehicle could be endangered if something fails on the road.

Everyone's budget on a car project is different, so being cost-effective on one's wallet is a great way. It might take a long time to start the project but I can totally understand that.

I learned that the price really do speak for itself, by remembering myself that I used to have buyers remorse a lot, whenever I cheaped out on parts. (Sometimes ended up spending much more than the original cost by re-upgrading them.)

Of course, performing a DIY can save you some big $, but here again, you really need to know what you're doing, when the task involves working on a vehicle's critical components. And it can hurt you while working.

Just saying that it all depends on how you be cost effective on your car project.

I usually research the hell out of the project, and spend some goood amount of time while making sure I'm saving up the money. Sometimes, patience is the key to the goal imo.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
It would be nice to save some $ on cars, but most of the time it's a good idea for not cheaping out on the actual quality of the parts.

It's b/c such low quality parts usually don't meet the oem spec, and your life in the vehicle could be endangered if something fails on the road.

Everyone's budget on a car project is different, so being cost-effective on one's wallet is a great way. It might take a long time to start the project but I can totally understand that.

I learned that the price really do speak for itself, by remembering myself that I used to have buyers remorse a lot, whenever I cheaped out on parts. (Sometimes ended up spending much more than the original cost by re-upgrading them.)

Of course, performing a DIY can save you some big $, but here again, you really need to know what you're doing, when the task involves working on a vehicle's critical components. And it can hurt you while working.

Just saying that it all depends on how you be cost effective on your car project.

I usually research the hell out of the project, and spend some goood amount of time while making sure I'm saving up the money. Sometimes, patience is the key to the goal imo.

I could not agree with you more. I have similar advice to a follower of mine on Instagram. That was followed by him asking me if cutting his springs was a good idea. He must not have paid attention to a word I said.

Like you had said, it may seem cheap now but it will end up costing you more in the future. For example, my h22 has auto timing tensioner. That part is known to fail causing you to skip timing and your motor is down and out. You fix that with a $100 part. So you either spend $100 now or thousands later.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you want a car that's easy/somewhat cheap to add power to....buy something else.

Varnell

Reaction score
If the truth scares them away then they weren't serious about completing their projects anyway. The first idea I had for my i4 sedan was to drop a Hemi in it. I had no idea about anything. I would have spent $15k to drop in a v8, converted to rwd and thrown the weight distribution so far out of balance that the rear wheels would have been off the ground.

Scare tactics are used because newbies probably won't understand the actual reasons why certain projects are impractical money pits.

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
Yeah, I think a lot of people starting out, like myself, are just overly excited. But as you research and mod you realize things are a little more in depth, take longer to complete right, and become very costly. That aside, don't be afraid to dream big. People have turbo' these cars, it can be done. Not only that, but people on this for mum have created tons of build threads to help you out. My advice would be to have small, medium, and long term goals. A small goal could be a strut bar, a medium goal could be suspension, long term goal could definitely be a turbo. If you set the smaller goals it will help keep you sane waiting to turbo, but it also gives you time to really decide if you can and want to do it. Who knows if a few years from now if I will want to turbo or if something else comes my way. Plan ahead and enjoy yourself, it will work out.
:)

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Yeah, I think a lot of people starting out, like myself, are just overly excited. But as you research and mod you realize things are a little more in depth, take longer to complete right, and become very costly. That aside, don't be afraid to dream big. People have turbo' these cars, it can be done. Not only that, but people on this for mum have created tons of build threads to help you out. My advice would be to have small, medium, and long term goals. A small goal could be a strut bar, a medium goal could be suspension, long term goal could definitely be a turbo. If you set the smaller goals it will help keep you sane waiting to turbo, but it also gives you time to really decide if you can and want to do it. Who knows if a few years from now if I will want to turbo or if something else comes my way. Plan ahead and enjoy yourself, it will work out.
:)

Good point!

I think the issue many run into is trying to rush things. They want to reach an elite status over night. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was my build. However, I'm sure if you gave me a due date I would procrastinate it until the final day. :lawl: I plan to keep my accord forever. That gives me plenty of time to do any mods I have planned. Would it be nice to have it done whenever I wish? Yes. The thing is, it will never be done. It will always be under construction. It will be changing with the style and my opinion. Just looking back two years ago on what I considered cool has drastically changed and I know two years from now I'll laugh at what my car looks like today. The only thing that matters to me is that I'm happy with how my car currently is.

rooky

Reaction score
I tell people all the time that having a high horsepower car without AC/HEAT or a comfortable seat it doesn't make sense to drive it. I live in NJ and the basic necessity of the car is vital to me based on the changing climate and my commute to work and taking a road trip on weekends. When I just got my Accord nothing wasn't working not even having a hood prop.:henry: I said to myself "I should make sure I have the comfort first before I modify anything on the car." Its nice when your stuck in traffic you can listen some nice music without any static, watch a movie, especially taking long road trips the seat support your back. I remember when I had my TOYOTA CAMRY I was stupid to put on a straight pipe and blew the head gasket in 2 weeks. Common sense didn't tell that less air going in and more air going out would cause this.

Last edited:
Back