Semi Urgent. Bearing or axle problem.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
but he says when he accelerates, not at any specific speed.

Sorry I am exhausted, I just re read his original post. I was looking around and saw that this can happen with a bad U-joint in the driveshaft and what I do know is that the joints don't have to show visual signs of wear and tear in order to be bad due to the grease in the joints being gone or warn out.

I pretty much read a couple peoples posts where they have the same symptoms as what you are describing almost to a T.

Last edited:

ib042129

Reaction score
Sorry I am exhausted, I just re read his original post. I was looking around and saw that this can happen with a bad U-joint in the driveshaft and what I do know is that the joints don't have to show visual signs of wear and tear in order to be bad due to the grease in the joints being gone or warn out.

I pretty much read a couple peoples posts where they have the same symptoms as what you are describing almost to a T.

Accords have U-joint axles?

I thought it's a CV joint.
Different design, but the problem might be the same.

The bad axle is one of my guesses. I just can't say it 100%.
Is there a definite way to rule out the bearing?

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I thought all driveshafts had a Universal joint? Honestly I'm at the point where I'm just trying to throw up different ideas.

As for the whole rule out thing I have no idea. Maybe do a search on the internet and see if there is a way to do an easy rule out.

Last edited:

ib042129

Reaction score
I thought all driveshafts had a Universal joint? Honestly I'm at the point where I'm just trying to throw up different ideas.

Okay. Getting a bit off track here but this is what I pulled up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Universal_joint.gif

versus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif

In my stupidity, I actually pulled apart the axle once. (Replaced it since then.)
It was similar to that CV animation.

I think driveshaft-> that pipe that goes from the tranny to the diff in RWD cars uses u-joint.
Axle->that pipe that goes from the diff to the wheels uses CV.

But I could imagine if one of the balls/grooves in the CV would be cracked it would create vibrations.

ib042129

Reaction score
Alright hmm.

Do you have access to a lift where you can easily examine all of this easily?

Not really. I just jack it up and see.

Here is what I found:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5822999_hub-bearing-failure-dangers.html

Testing Bearings
To determine if your bearings are bad, use a floor jack to lift the vehicle, and place it securely on jack stands. Place your hands at nine and three o'clock on the tire and attempt to rock it back and forth. If the wheel and tire move at all, you could have a bad wheel bearing. It is also important to periodically inspect the bearings, the bearing races and the hub. The bearing and races should be smooth and free of scratches and be lubricated with plenty of wheel bearing grease.

I tried that yesterday and there is zero play. So I would guess it is the axle.
The annoying part is what if I'm wrong I would have to take this **** apart twice.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Yeah. But the symptoms I'd assume would be a lot alike with the Ujoint versus other so the people who had the same symptoms as you stated that they looked at the driveshaft joints which would be a place to start at least.

Latest posts

Back