Several Sixth Gen Issues... Please Help

snr

Reaction score
Hello All.

Here are a multitude of issues I have found with my car that may or may not be connected/symptoms of a bigger problem. Please enlighten me.

I have a 99' Accord LX Sedan. 108k miles on it.

Since I have got the car I have been plagued with noises coming from the underside of the car. Since then, they have gotten progressively worse.

The noises occur when turning (sometimes flat, almost every turn I make at an incline or decline will trigger a noise), going over speed bumps

The noise is a knocking type noise
(will make a video of it later)

I experience a small but noticable lurch when changing from P to D or R to D or D to R.
When changing from P to R on a driveway, the lurch is very noticable and loud.

When going uphill at low RPM's, the car will roll backwards downhill whenever I take my foot off the brakes.

The car is not smooth at low RPM's. The gear shift around 1 and 2 is noticably rough and gives a "delay" or lurch type thing.

When going uphill at low RPM's, the car starts to shake and has on several occasions, had the lights start to flicker and fade and almost die (it has died twice before)

There is excess play in the steering wheels.
There is a squeek when letting off the brakes.

ey361995

Reaction score
Having a v6 my tranny has always been a bit of a moody thing. Just change the fluid at least once a year with ONLY Honda DW-1, use the handbrake everytime when putting it in park and shift to the gear you want before releasing the handbrake, and just take it easy. :beer:

snr

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I have the 4cyl engine.

I'm not sure when the last time transmission fluid has been changed. Should it be done now?

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
Sounds like balljoints up front. I'm not familiar with the auto tranny so I won't speak on it. Sounds like you need to spend an afternoon just going through the car and making sure all is well.

doubleclutch

Reaction score
the noise in the front does sound like balljoints or something involving your suspension. the jerking and such sounds like a tranny issue. change the fluid, wouldnt hurt to do it anyway. preventive maintenance at its finest. good luck to ya

Emphasis

Reaction score
If you're on your original balljoints/control arms, it could be just that. Or if the previous owner drove it hard. The video should help.
__
If you're going uphill and letting off the brake, it's normal to roll backwards as you are going against gravity. The squeek in your brakes sounds normal unless it's over excessive.
__

For your transmission woes: Check your transmission fluid, and try to find out if the transmission fluid was ever changed. If or when you drain and refill the transmission fluid, inspect the magnet on the drain plug for metal shavings before wiping it.

ey361995

Reaction score
^this and it doesnt matter if service records say the trans fluid was done 500 miles ago, I would do it for your own peace of mind and for mine as well haha. Even the 4 cyl models had some sporatic tranny problems. All thanks to a very bad design (Thank you Ford). Good luck man I hope it works out well :thumbsup:

nsjames

Reaction score
what you need to do.

jack up one side of the car.
grab the wheel at 12 and 6.
push on 12 and pull on 6.

if it moves, ball joints or wheel bearings are suspect

now, grab the wheel at 9 and 3.
push on 9 and pull on 3
If it moves, tie rods/steering rack are suspect.

you need to be aggressive. Don't be a wuss when pushing and pulling.
as always, make sure the car is blocked and on jackstand. Leave the other front tire on the ground so you can test the steering components without the whole rack simply turning.

snr

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help.

So, transmission fluid change is on the list of things to do.
As well as jacking up the car.

The thing is, my mechanic has checked out my car on two separate occasions and has told me the suspension is tight and looks fairly new. Never found any problems to report to me. I in particular asked him to look at the CV joints.

Back