shifter moves up and down not side to side

g22aOnBoost343

Reaction score
so i have a 5 speed 6th gen accord(obviously).... and i was driving and all of a sudden the car would not let me move into neutral....it goes up and down, but won't go side to side and is stuck in gear...i manage to get home barely....and i turn off the car and i crank it and when i crank it, it jumps forward so of course i didn't crank it all the way....the shifter will move up and down but refuses to go into neutral and won't go side to side...........is this the sign of a blown clutch? or a shot tranny?:eh:

finch13

Reaction score
Bent shift fork most likely. Side to side motion is the shift fork selector, where back and forth engages the locking ring on the synchro. Sounds more like a slave cylinder failure if you crank it the car moves forward.

g22aOnBoost343

Reaction score
yuh when i crank the car it jumps forward....almost like my car is stuck in gear...i'm thinking it could be a blown clutch because a month ago the car was slipping randomly....and yesterday i remember when i was driving it in 2nd gear and i was in like 4700rpm and when i shift to 3rd it was hard.....but when i was low rpms and i shift from 2nd to 3rd it was smooth...

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Honda transmissions are easily dropped. Toyotas are a pain in the rear, you have to drop the whole subframe.

g22aOnBoost343

Reaction score
yuh me and my homeboy are going to drop it tomorrow...i still don't see what it could be because even when the car is off it still won't do it....i have a strong feeling its the clutch though...

the weird thing is, the oil light blinked for about a brief second -_-

Last edited:
Back