Shock and spring combo?

phi1542

Reaction score
i've never had them, but from what i've heard tein's usually are a little on the softer side, so they'd probably be the most comfortable coilover you could get. i really liked the ksports i had because they handled well and were a bit on the stiffer side of things, but i tend to like a stiffer suspension as well.

Tein Street Advance. :rock:

Thanks for the input guys! I Think I'll go with Tien because I'm not hearing much on shock+springs lmao :D

phi1542

Reaction score
Yeah...I guess my pov may be off.

The accord rides nice, so does the 599, so does the gl with cb650 rear shocks, the cb360 re-fit with 2" taller shocks designed for a bike twice the size is a bit 'rough', but not bad...a caddy-style-wave-machine rides like ****, you feel 'disconnected'

in my opinion, lol.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what your'e talking about hahaha

xci.ed6

Reaction score
My sig, I have motorcycles in addition to my Ack.

Bikes were always transportation to me, until 12 months ago, when Brandy Farnsworth damn near killed me, by hitting me on a bike while I was stopped.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Based on personal experience, I'd recommend Tein SS or Basic (they go under a different name now, might be Street Advance as Sil2Dr mentioned). The SS was my first coilover setup and they had well over 50k on them before I sold them. They had been through multiple owners before I had them though. When I sold them to Topher on here, he had Tein rebuild them and Tein said the dampers were still in good condition. They are comfortable and offer a decent drop but keep in mind, the lower you go with them, the more shock travel you lose. They don't offer separate preload and height adjustment. I think only their premium coilovers like the Flex offer that.

My 2nd and last setup was FF Type 1. Surprisingly, I only had to change one bad rear damper after about 20k but I put over 30k on them before I sold the car and the coilovers were still going. But if you want ride quality, look elsewhere. The dampers are ehhh...mediocre at best. Still surprised they have lasted so long though.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
I have the H&R sport springs with KYB struts. Very comfortable ride, happy with the wheel gap (see sig pic). Fender to ground I think I'm right at 23" all around. I recommend this set up for a DD.

I put the H&R springs on this car back in 02 when it was owned by my parents with the stock struts, the ride wasn't very good, kind of boat like. When I put the KYBs on about three or four years ago (around 75k miles ago) it made a world of difference. The springs have over 180k miles. Still riding great.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I had Yellows paired with Sportlines for a long time and enjoyed it. The setup gave a decent drop, rode comfortably and provided improved handling, and the Yellows had adjustable dampening and height (perches). It was great for a worry free DD.

I've sinced moved to GC coilover sleeves paired w/Yellows, and love it.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Tein SS is an older model of the SA, and it's discontinued b/c of the SA. Although the SA looks pretty much identical to the SS, the SA has better precision on the damper adjustability & corrosion resistance. Now the SS is still available on the internet to purchase, but it's relatively more expensive than the SA. This is b/c the Tein has moved their production line, which means that their parts are mainly produced in their country--JPN, and their products became more reasonable (after 2012 iirc).

With that said, the SA is superior model over the SS in terms of it's quality & price.

phi1542

Reaction score
Based on personal experience, I'd recommend Tein SS or Basic (they go under a different name now, might be Street Advance as Sil2Dr mentioned). The SS was my first coilover setup and they had well over 50k on them before I sold them. They had been through multiple owners before I had them though. When I sold them to Topher on here, he had Tein rebuild them and Tein said the dampers were still in good condition. They are comfortable and offer a decent drop but keep in mind, the lower you go with them, the more shock travel you lose. They don't offer separate preload and height adjustment. I think only their premium coilovers like the Flex offer that.

My 2nd and last setup was FF Type 1. Surprisingly, I only had to change one bad rear damper after about 20k but I put over 30k on them before I sold the car and the coilovers were still going. But if you want ride quality, look elsewhere. The dampers are ehhh...mediocre at best. Still surprised they have lasted so long though.

I have the H&R sport springs with KYB struts. Very comfortable ride, happy with the wheel gap (see sig pic). Fender to ground I think I'm right at 23" all around. I recommend this set up for a DD.

I put the H&R springs on this car back in 02 when it was owned by my parents with the stock struts, the ride wasn't very good, kind of boat like. When I put the KYBs on about three or four years ago (around 75k miles ago) it made a world of difference. The springs have over 180k miles. Still riding great.

I had Yellows paired with Sportlines for a long time and enjoyed it. The setup gave a decent drop, rode comfortably and provided improved handling, and the Yellows had adjustable dampening and height (perches). It was great for a worry free DD.

Tein SS is an older model of the SA, and it's discontinued b/c of the SA. Although the SA looks pretty much identical to the SS, the SA has better precision on the damper adjustability & corrosion resistance. Now the SS is still available on the internet to purchase, but it's relatively more expensive than the SA. This is b/c the Tein has moved their production line, which means that their parts are mainly produced in their country--JPN, and their products became more reasonable (after 2012 iirc).

With that said, the SA is superior model over the SS in terms of it's quality & price.

How do all of these ride compared to stock? Stock will always be most comfortable but is it similar or close? I'm just annoyed at how bumpy F2 Type 1 are and how it makes a super loud bang over certain bumps and stuff... Is tein SS the most comfort for a good price? Would shock and spring be better or the same?

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yellows paired with Sportlines can be close to stock, or not, depending on how you set the dampening. At their softest, the ride is slightly firmer than stock but not harsh by any means, and you gain some handling. At their firmest the ride can be much less soft than stock.

With the GC's it depends on the spring rates you get.

phi1542

Reaction score

Yellows paired with Sportlines can be close to stock, or not, depending on how you set the dampening. At their softest, the ride is slightly firmer than stock but not harsh by any means, and you gain some handling. At their firmest the ride can be much less soft than stock.

With the GC's it depends on the spring rates you get.

What spring rate should I be looking for? GC are expensive so if i went shock route I would just do lowering srings

Back