Should F2 type 1's have been tightened when opening package?

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my F2 type 1's yesterday and when i opened the box up, the bottom parts weren't very tight and they were at different settings.

Is this normal? Should I worry about the preload not being set correctly? The preload seemed to be mostly tightened. I was under the impression that the preload should be set out of the box.

Edit: 6/16/2012
Question in last post about going back up:

luciusad2004 said:
Does anyone know how high I can go before the two tubes come apart? As i mentioned in one of my other threads, I successfully ripped my entire exhaust off so I was looking to lift it about an inch but I cant tell how much further I can go.

Measuring from the bottom of the spring perch to the bottom of the lower locking ring it now sits a little above 3 and 3/4 inches. It was at 3 and I wanted to go to four but I don't know at what point it comes apart or becomes unsafe.

Anybody know? I'm really looking to avoid having to take one of them off the car just to measure it.

Also, If I increase the preload will that raise the car at all or just make it ride stiffer?

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Yes, it is supposed to be set out of the box. However, you can always reset it yourself for piece of mind and this way you know its set right.
Preload on the springs should be 5mm from their free length. So if the spring is 20cm long, make it 19.5cm. Make sure you lock the two perches against each other tightly after setting preload. I'd even suggest using some grease on the threads.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Ill have to check it out once they are on the car. Are they set super low out of the box? The packaging said they were at the "lowest" setting.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Ill have to check it out once they are on the car. Are they set super low out of the box? The packaging said they were at the "lowest" setting.

adjust them so about 25% of the threaded body is inside the lower mount when you install them. then just go from there

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Thanks a ton dude. I got them on today and they are great. Glad I backed them out a bit because they went much lower than I expected. Ride is great. Didn't get a chance to fine tune the height as it was pouring rain for the last half of the install.

I did mess up the bracket in the back that has the nut on it for the lower strut mount. I got it back together but will want to replace the bracket soon.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Thanks a ton dude. I got them on today and they are great. Glad I backed them out a bit because they went much lower than I expected. Ride is great. Didn't get a chance to fine tune the height as it was pouring rain for the last half of the install.

I did mess up the bracket in the back that has the nut on it for the lower strut mount. I got it back together but will want to replace the bracket soon.

How did you mess it up...

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Stepped on the rear knuckle to pop out the strut and the sway bar pulled it out of whack. The nut also broke off but I was able to get a nut on temporarily and it all seems to be secure until I can replace the part.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Stepped on the rear knuckle to pop out the strut and the sway bar pulled it out of whack. The nut also broke off but I was able to get a nut on temporarily and it all seems to be secure until I can replace the part.

So the nut just broke off or you damaged the bracket somehow??? Usually after unbolting the stud in there the damper lower mount can come off rather easy.
swaybar2.jpg

endb5a.jpg

Last edited:

luciusad2004

Reaction score
The Nut cam off. I thought the bracket itself was bent but once we realized that the bracket was removable we took it off completely and then lined it back up and it actually seems like it might have just twisted around the bolt that connects it to the "knuckle".

I'm not sure exactly how the nut broke off, My buddy was trying to get it back together while i took a rest and I think he might have put a socket on it.

Back