Sigma 28mm f/1.8 (title used to be Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S)

trevendous03

Reaction score
Is the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S a lens I should invest in?

The lens is very inexpensive and motorized so it will autofocus with my D60, which is good, because I only have one prime lens right now 50mm f/1.8D which is manual focus only with my D60. I don't mind it, but it takes more time for MF, and I could miss a moment.

Just wondering if anyone would recommend this lens as a good prime lens for my camera, especially for studio portrait work in a small studio where the 50mm gets too close.

nikon-af-s-dx-nikkor-35mm-f-18g-lens.jpg

$200

Last edited:

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Re: Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S

IMO, it is a fantastic (sounding) lens, I've never personally used one. On your crop sensor, 35mm will put you at right around a normal (close to what the eye sees) field of view. This will be good for portraits with either whole body or upper body views. Any closer and you are getting into your model's personal space. I've read some good reviews on it and it seems like Nikon has produced a winner.

finch13

Reaction score

It's a DX Nikkor, the Nikon equivalent to an EF-S lens, which will be 35mm on the crop body.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score

The DX and EF-S lenses use the same focal lengths as every other lens, the specialties have to do with the construction of them (I.E. smaller rear elements, lighter construction and cheaper price) because they are designed more towards an entry level consumer.

finch13

Reaction score

I thought they had the rear element placed closer to the crop body sensors to get rid of the 1.6x focal length magnification from using FF lens on a crop body? Resulting in the smaller image circle.

Like, using EF-S on a FF = very bad rear element/sensor contact lol

trevendous03

Reaction score

Thanks for your help... this is supposed to convert to 52mm focal length.

I just realized it's not even out yet, but I'm thinking about placing a pre-order with Adorama. Adorama is the only place I buy camera stuff anymore. :beer:

trevendous03

Reaction score

It's either this or I save up for a ABR800. :hide: the results with those are incredible!

finch13

Reaction score

Well now you just made it a difficult decision... I would love to get a ringflash... I think I'm going to make one myself.... but I don't think I could get anywhere near as close to 14,000 lumens like the ABR800...

Raymond

Reaction score

When I'm in the studio I'm usually using a focal length of 70-200mm, you must be using a tiny studio...

Back