Slap Happy (Fabrication Content)

Brad2274

Reaction score
so why did you just do tac welds not a full bead? i guess its probably strong enough but i think id want the full bead just to be sure

Fundillo

Reaction score
You have custom UCAs? Any pictures of what they look like?
Do you have any pictures/measurements of the cuts?

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
so why did you just do tac welds not a full bead? i guess its probably strong enough but i think id want the full bead just to be sure

He did do a full bead, he just didnt post pictures of it rough. Look at the final pictures, you can see the ground down full bead in them.

KnightRyder

Reaction score

in light of your recent mod, which im not sure if you've posted here or not, you could probably benefit from this big time to get that front down more.

Fundillo

Reaction score
exactly! hahah, i would like measurements on the cuts because this 3 inch hole helps, but not enough :/

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Well now, Jake.

I hope you patent this type of thing. Seems to meet you ha e some solid fab skills.

Looks fantastic.

Definately appreciate your innovation.

MoneyPit

Reaction score
This is amazing
Thank you!
When you're welding sheetmetal, you can't run a full bead or the metal will warp d/t to the extreme heat that a bead generates. To avoid warpage, the tack weld is placed and the metal is allowed to cool in-between tacks. Although I didn't post a final picture, before I grinded/glassed the tower, the tacks were completely continuous around the box, and tack strength = full bead strength at that point.
I have some pictures laying around somewhere, I'll dig 'em up. I basically bought a set of Chassis Tech pre-fab arms, but they were waaaaaaay to long, so I had to section the balljoint mounts in order to get them to fit under the tower. The end result is a beautiful custom arm that is very low profile with a fully adjustable balljoint integrated.

The section that I cut out of the tower was 4 3/4" wide at the apex, 5 3/4" wide at the base, and 4" long (basically the shape of the filler panel).
exactly! hahah, i would like measurements on the cuts because this 3 inch hole helps, but not enough :/
Since you're running the stock arms, I bet you are hitting the front of the strut tower after you cleared space for the top. There's almost zero room in that spot, so you should pull your wheel and take a look inside the strut tower to look for the contact location.
Well now, Jake.

I hope you patent this type of thing. Seems to meet you ha e some solid fab skills.

Looks fantastic.

Definately appreciate your innovation.
Haha, there's really nothing to patent, it's just a different approach to something that a bunch of people have already done. Thanks for the kind words though Derek.

MoneyPit

Reaction score
Before sectioning the balljoint flange didn't even fit under the strut tower:
32a8257d.jpg

Complete before black PC:
fa1f741b.jpg

Back