slap-on cone filter

vutoq

Reaction score
After reading the modded CAI intake, i was thinking of just removing the air filter box and slappin on a cone filter, clamping it to the existing pipe/tube. Would the original pipe/tube just bottleneck the whole idea?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
u could do that, and no it wouldnt mess up the idea. With a cone filter i think u get a lil more mpg compared to the stock. The dam pipe just makes more noise i think.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
You can do that. However the Cold air technology wouldnt be as effective with the stock plastic tube as it would with the aluminum pipe.
Why?
Aluminum repels heat better than plastic or rubber.

PS.
I douby you will improve your MPG's by adding an intake.
If anything you will decrease your MPG's but not by much because you don't gain much power with an intake.
The more air that goes into the intake manifold, the ECU must compensate by adding more fuel for propure mixture.
More fuel being consumed equals a lower MPG

atarikid07

Reaction score
PS.
I douby you will improve your MPG's by adding an intake.
If anything you will decrease your MPG's but not by much because you don't gain much power with an intake.
The more air that goes into the intake manifold, the ECU must compensate by adding more fuel for propure mixture.
More fuel being consumed equals a lower MPG

But cooler air burns better, so I think it kinda balances the ECU out. I don't think you really lost mpg, but if you do I'd assume it's very miniscule. The big reason I lost mpg is because I love to hear the engine rev now, so I punch it way more often.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
But cooler air burns better, so I think it kinda balances the ECU out. I don't think you really lost mpg, but if you do I'd assume it's very miniscule. The big reason I lost mpg is because I love to hear the engine rev now, so I punch it way more often.

Yes, cooler air is more condense, however it's the amount of air you're taking in.
Remember the stock intake has a lot of bends and restrictions.
If you remove those restrictions you're allowing much more air to flow into the throttle body.

The best set up is to have more Cooler air coming in
That's the purpose of the aftermarket set up.
It removes the stock restrictions and keeps the air cooler while traveling through the pipe to the throttle body.

Last edited:

vutoq

Reaction score
thanks for the help. I do tend to rev it more nowadays. =/, good thing gas has been going down

Back