Slight squeaking when AC kicks in...?

Raymond

Reaction score
It's hardly noticeable, but little things like this tend to bother/scare me...

It's a squeak that comes from the passenger side... it's a steady noise and originally I was thinking it was the belt or something. But I later realized that if I turned the AC off that the noise magically vanished.

AC compressor maybe? I had a similar problem on my last Mustang I bought used and it ended up being the alternator. When the AC was off it was fine but when I turned it on, the extra power would make the thing whine like a bitch.

Any ideas? I don't want to fix something that isn't broken haha, it's not even loud or annoying, I just notice it from time to time. If I have my radio on, even the lowest level, I won't hear it at all.

[email protected].

Reaction score
My service manual says with a new belt the deflection should be 0.16-0.24 inches, and with a used belt, 0.28-0.35. But they also list the force that you're pushing on the belt as 22lbf. Who knows what 22 foot-lbs is like for a force, but I suppose it would only stand to reason that if you're measuring the deflection, you have to know the amount of force being applied to it.

Hope that helps...

finch13

Reaction score
The typical deflection I use is 1/4" in a 7" span of belt (7" between pulleys) and 1/2" in a 13" span.

IF you over-tension a belt, you can easily wear the bearings on the accessory.

You said passenger side... all the things people have listed are on the drivers side (A/c comp, alt, etc.) have someone :leeann: turn on the A/c while youre under the hood.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
The typical deflection I use is 1/4" in a 7" span of belt (7" between pulleys) and 1/2" in a 13" span.

IF you over-tension a belt, you can easily wear the bearings on the accessory.

You said passenger side... all the things people have listed are on the drivers side (A/c comp, alt, etc.) have someone :leeann: turn on the A/c while youre under the hood.

Hahah hes right, our ac compressor is on the drivers side. I was thinking of my toyota avalon LOL. Because that one has a squeaky ac compressor and its on the passenger side. hahaha

finch13

Reaction score
Hahah hes right, our ac compressor is on the drivers side. I was thinking of my toyota avalon LOL. Because that one has a squeaky ac compressor and its on the passenger side. hahaha

Ah... just remember her has an AV6... I think all the accessories are on the passenger side...

cajun

Reaction score
Like others said, you should be able to tell if it's coming from the compressor by having someone else click it on/off with you under the hood. You can figure out if it's a belt by spraying belt dressing on them. I used to hear the sound you describe when I'd turn on my old S10's compressor - the bearings started crapping out and whined like a mofo. I drove it like that for two years and then replaced it when a seal blew.

Back