So, people are asking me how to keep my engine bay so clean

talontsiawd

Reaction score
wait when u said u can spray tire foam all over the engine bay, it doesnt matter if it gets into the alternator or gets on the battery either? sorry if it is a stupid question, but i was just curious lol

I personally don't worry about it since it's low pressure. I'm not going to say that you won't have problems and shouldn't though, i haven't ever.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I made a color the other day that would be absolutely dope for your car. I mixed some gold green color (i can tell you what i bought if you are interested, just have to look at the bottle) with black and a touch of silver for the sparkle. It was basically black with gold flake but had a green tint to it in the light. Very dope if it was on your car.

Do you have a pic of the color?

To paint with it.. is it necessary to airbrush? I don't have a compressor.. or an airbrush.:thinking:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
No pic, yes, you need an airbrush or a paint gun.

I used HOK lime gold (KBC02) HOK black (BC25) and a HOK Orion Silver (BC02)

I used a mix of 60% lime gold, 30% black, 10% silver (more or less). You could make it more green by adding a little bit of blue in.

Painting with an airbrush if it isn't candy is easy and it's not too expensive. The paint costs more than a can of spraypaint (and multiply that when you use muliple colors) but it last alot longer. My airbrush compressor was $35 on sale (normally $50) from harbor freight and i'm actually currently using a $5 airbrush. It actually works better than my "nicer" one as it has one adjustment so it's easy to get it to spray wide (but would be awful for art).

The major downside is the cost to start. I spent around $90 to do my valve cover the first time. That would be for the compressor, cheapo airbrush, paint and reducer (i had to buy a full quart) But, i use maybe 1/3 of my paint and my reducer will last me years. If you would be using spray paint alot, this intial cost makes up for it. Plus, the results are much better. On top of that, it's alot less work as you need to wetsand spray paint like crazy to get it looking good, where with this, after primer, i don't wetsand until the last coat of clear (that saves me probably 3-5 wetsanding jobs compared to spray paint).

My point is, even though it's expensive at the start, it will make up for it over time, with better results. Oh, and you can use almost any color in the world, or mix your own.

Lastly, you can use much cheaper paint too. Oil based rustolium looks as good as spraypaint or better, is $3-4 for a 1/2 pint and you can use normal paint thinner. You could do your valve cover for $10 in paint and that material will last you years. Plus, you can mix up custom colors.

Sorry, retardedly long post, i just feel like this has been one of the better investments i've made in price (it will have almost paid for itself after i do my wheels), quality, and time spent and i can't remember the last time i used spray paint, outside of primer and clear, which will soon change.

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
i thought tire foam eats paint.........

None that i have ever used. I mean, how many of us would have destroyed wheels if it eats through paint? I know of some tire cleaners that would probably stain paint, but those are different. I'm talking about the stuff to clean white walls.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed writing man. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. As for the tire spray.. I just used tire shine on my engine bay, worked perfectly! Also added some wax and interior vinyl preservant.

Sakuradrops808B

Reaction score
Nice write-up man. Did some quick spray and came out good. me and my valve cover are at peace again.

Sakurasweakf23.jpg

Back