spark plug changing on v6

dtraill27

Reaction score
this weekend i am thinking about changing my spark plugs. i have 130k and they have never been changed before. i am a little nervous because i am not super mechanically inclined. ive been looking around on this site and in my haynes manual and it doesnt look impossible.

what i am concerned with is being able to get the back 3 spark plugs out and gapping the plugs correctly. i also dont want to over tighten any of the plugs. can anyone offer me advice towards this or should i just stick to an oil change and air filter change that i also have planned. i just dont want to mess something up and have to here my parents complain about it

ive seen the 4cyl changes and they seem easier since all of the plugs are right there.

and even if i go through all the effort to change the plugs people have said they havent noticed any huge improvements?

thanks

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Bro, I am a paraplegic and use a wheelchair. I have changed my plugs on my 01 V6 Twice. The rear plugs are hard as hell for me to get to, but I can do it. Takes some time, but I can do it. Make sure you have the correct extensions and you will be okay to take out those rears.

Gapping - NGK Iridiums come pre-gapped, BUT You do need to CHECK the gap prior to installation to make sure a gap did not get thrown off somehow.

* make sure you do apply anti-seize lube on the plug threads - A little goes a long way, it is not necessary to smear the anti-seize lube ALLL over the threads. Apply a small amount at the bottom of the threads , where the plug will start threading into the cylinder head.... the lube will distribute itself all over the threads as you screw in your plug.

Torquing your plugs - I screw in the plug until it becomes very snug, then I will back it off a small 1/4 turn. You can also use a torque wrench to be sure.
*** Will someone else chime in on this step also.

DO 1 plug at a time!!! dont take them all out at once.

oh yeah, car runs better when you change plugs - I change mine every 30k miles

dtraill27

Reaction score
yeah they recommend the torque wrench but i was thinking i might be alright to just do it by hand and a quick tighten with the wrench. good point about the anti seize i forgot about that. i was planning on ngk plugs as well. i just gotta grow a set and do it i guess lol

Red02Accordv6_2

Reaction score
torque them to 12-13 lb/ft. Be careful not to cross thread the plugs. Set the new plugs in, slowly rotate the plug counterclockwise until you feel them "drop-in" or "click" into the treads then screw them in by hand as you normally would.

Theory208

Reaction score
A good way to get the old plugs out of the hole once you unscrew them is to stick the spark plug wire back into chamber and "stick it" back onto the old plug. Then just pull it out. 3x on a torque wrench (for a piece of mind).

dtraill27

Reaction score
well i did it today without a problem. it was really easy and took me about a half hour. thanks for your advice. with a little stretching and maneuvering i got the back 3 out.

sorry to ask, but for the i4, how much gaping do we need? :hide:

according to my haynes manual it says from .039 to .043 inches

finch13

Reaction score
On the I4, gapping specs are on the sticker on the hood (at least they should be): .044" or 1.1mm, use a spark plug gapping tool or feeler gauges

Last edited:
Back