Spark Plug recomendations

finch13

Reaction score
Ok Well with that in mind I will stay away from bosch, autolite, and champion. Will there a be a sificantly rough idle with a bad plug in I know I should know this but Im trying to keep an open mind.

A fouled or bad plug will misfire, so yes, it would be like removing a plug wire while the engine is running. (Try it, that's what a consistent miss will sound like)

Autolite and Champion aren't horrible plugs if you're just running normal, copper plugs. Hondas just prefer NGK and they always seem to run better and smoother with them.

Bosch plugs are just horrible... on any car. Everything else they make is fine though.

finch13

Reaction score
No gap? There HAS to be a gap for the spark to travel across... what else would ignite the mixture?

Bosch plugs are known to be of high resistance and are ignition coil killers.

Roadrashvtec

Reaction score
well I mean their not gaped like a normal one these ones are gapped like two c's facing each other :) but I think i'll change to irridium sometime.

[email protected].

Reaction score
DO NOT USE BOSCH PLUGS. ANY FORM OF THEM. THEY ARE ****.

I read that all the time, but nobody ever says why they are ****. For whatever reason - probably marketing hype - I put a set of Bosch platinum +4's in my car 75K miles ago, and have never had any problem. It still runs good and gets around 30mpg in every day driving. I guess the only way to tell is to replace them w/ NGK's and see what happens.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
I just put the Bosch +4's in also after 80K on the OEM NGK's. They were on sale at pep boys (well rebate anyway). You can see what they look like at sparkplugs. com

How does high resistance kill coils?
Isn't the air gap the biggest resistance?

mr. smith

Reaction score
ngk g-power plugs are what i usually recommend, they use the same principle as the iridiums but with platinum electrode

dekkeressex

Reaction score
found ultrasonic plugs: talked to the inventor over phone. David Wofsey, 87, worked for Lockheed Martin before it was LM. Also worked on the Titan missile, etc. A set of plugs is modified so that there is a hole in the ground electrode. When the plug fires the spark is shot thru the hole as an ultrasonic 'whistle' which atomizes/disperses the fuel before combustion for much more complete burn. he is only one in US with that name. check it out.

dekkeressex

Reaction score
also realize that platinum and iridium are more poor conductors of heat and elec. than are copper, or best is silver. plat and irid. are super dense and so they last longer to meet 100k miles plus. look up chart

Back