Spark Plug Socket Size

JJR512

Reaction score
I wanted to find out what spark plug socket to use on a 1998 Accord V6. I tried searching here for "spark plug socket", then I tried adding "size" to the search terms. I was not able to quickly find the information I was looking for.

I saw lots of people saying to use a spark plug socket, but the thing is, spark plugs do come in different sizes. My 1986 Porsche 944, for example, needs a 13/16 spark plug socket.

I found the answer by going to NGK's website, finding out what spark plug they recommend (ZFR5F in any of various flavors), then googling "ZFR5F socket size". On the first page, there were several sites that said 5/8 is the socket or hex size for this plug, so I'm going to assume that's correct.

Now that I've mentioned spark plug socket size in one thread, including the title, hopefully next time somebody searches for this information they will find this thread and see that 5/8 is the correct spark plug socket size. At least for the V6, I don't know if the I4 is the same.

agginline86

Reaction score
the DIY section clearly has a link on how to change spark plugs
sizes for the sockets and everything

FYI: Hondas are imports, so sockets will be metric not SAE

I'm really starting to doubt you've ever used a forum before......

Last edited:

JJR512

Reaction score
the DIY section clearly has a link on how to change spark plugs
sizes for the sockets and everything

FYI: Hondas are imports, so sockets will be metric not SAE

I'm really starting to doubt you've ever used a forum before......

I looked in "DIY - Do It Yourself Forum", the same forum this thread is posted in. There are five sticky threads at the top, one of which I've noticed before; that thread is called "Official 6GA DIY Master List". (I also considered looking in "DIY Mods under $25" but figured that the cost of these spark plugs would put this above that $25 cutoff, so I didn't bother looking in there.)

The Official 6GA DIY Master List thread has links grouped into these sections: Exterior, Exterior Lighting, Suspension, Brakes, Interior, F23 Engine Maintenance and Modifications, J30 Engine Maintenance and Modifications, Audio, Codes and Testing, Gauge & Lights, Honda Genuine Accessories Installation Instructions, and Other. Of those sections, only one seemed relevant: "J30 Engine Maintenance and Modifications". I did not bother to look at what was listed under any of the other sections, since none of them were relevant.

Within the J30 Engine Maintenance and Modifications section, there are links to these articles:

How To Seafoam
Coolant Drain
Engine Bay easy cleaning
Ignition Switch Replacement
Main Relay Repair
Big Three Wiring Upgrade
Modified OEM Intake
Make your own Catch Can
J30 Battery Relocation
Polyurethane insert install
CL-S Battery Tray & Cover for F23
Tranmission Cooler/Filter Install
V6 Odyssey Alternator Upgrade
6 Speed Manual Swap Guide
Throttle Body Cleaning
Power steering hose replacement

Please tell me, agginline86, which of those articles is about spark plugs?

Oh, I did notice the "Spark Plug and Wires Install" located in the "F23 Engine Maintenance and Modifications" section, but I don't have that engine, and I don't know enough about Accords yet to know if they use the same spark plugs or not. I did not want to assume.

Finally, if you use the Search feature of this message board, and search for "spark plug socket", which thread of the many results is obviously going to tell you what the spark plug socket size is? Answer: none of the results are obvious. Even if you add "size" to your search terms, as I tried, the results are narrowed down drastically, yet none will obviously tell you what you want to know.

Now I'm not saying that none of the threads found with the search feature contain this information. I'm just saying that without it being obvious, one would have to look in each thread in the hopes of finding the information, without there being any guarantee that the information is there at all.

That's why I called this thread "Spark Plug Socket Size". That way, in the future, anyone searching for "spark plug socket" should see this thread, and it will be obvious to that person that this thread discusses the socket size needed for spark plugs. In retrospect, I should've added "V6" to the thread title, since that was what I was talking about.

If you want to doubt if I've used forums before, let me tell you that I've used them enough to understand the point of a discussion forum apparently much better than you do. A discussion forum is about discussion. It's that simple. If a person has a simple question that should have a simple answer, it shouldn't take minutes of searching, or having to read through dozens of threads, just to find the answer! That person should be allowed to ask the simple question and someone should just give the requested information and that should be the end of it. Believe me, I know it's frustrating for the long-term members who have seen the same question asked 384 times before, but when you tell a newbie who asks for the 385th time to piss off and use the search, you make that person feel unwelcome, and what does that accomplish? Yes, a person should try searching first, but if they don't easily get the answer they're looking for, then I see nothing wrong with asking. That's why I created this thread, so if someone takes the time to at least try searching first, hopefully they'll see that this thread obviously discusses what they're trying to find out.

JJR512

Reaction score
Oh, and about the socket being metric, not SAE... When I order my spark plugs, should I request they send me the metric size instead of the SAE size? Is there some code I should put in the part number to specify I want a metric spark plug instead of an SAE spark plug? Craftsman apparently doesn't have a 16mm spark plug socket, which would be the metric equivalent to 5/8", so do you think I'll be fine if I just use the more commonly available 5/8 socket version of the ZFR5F and the 5/8 spark plug socket I can get anywhere? Do you think my import will mind?

(These questions were all sarcastic and rhetorical, in case you missed it, agginline86.)

Back