Spark plug wire keeps coming off...

ShaunBLAZE

Reaction score
Alright here's the situation. I purchased a used SRI and filter. When I cleaned and oiled the filter, I think I put to much oil on it. Thus some of the oil got into my engine and was throwing some things off. I think my engine was going into "limp" mode. So for now my stock air box is back on and after getting my oil changed everything seems back to normal. I'm still not sure about the spark plug wire popping but it seems fine too.

angelplus

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
I'm sure you didn't "have" to cross thread it. As long as it's not causing any problems you're fine. But eventually, you'll probably need a new head when you keep changing plugs. Best bet - put a really big shot of nitrous in and blow it. Then replace the motor.

You always have an easy solution to even the hardest questions ;) :D

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Yup, I like to think of it that way.

Shaun - if you did indeed put to much oil on and any of that actually got in the combustion chamber - oil doesn't compress. However unlikely that is, but I'll bet my .02 on the intake itself.

ShaunBLAZE

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
^ Yup, I like to think of it that way.

Shaun - if you did indeed put to much oil on and any of that actually got in the combustion chamber - oil doesn't compress. However unlikely that is, but I'll bet my .02 on the intake itself.

I thought it was the intake too but had the same problem with my stock air box. Unexplainable it might be, but it worked fine after I got the oil changed. Drove it from MI to GA with no problems. :cool:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
angelplus said:
How about my car? New head required? Or have a shop retap the sparkplug hole? Becuase I had to crossthread mine, or it wasn't going into cyl 3
You can retap it and hope it works. Most 4cyl are a bitch though as the whole is so far down. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I have done it, but on an autoshop call in highschool. It's not hard, you just need to be careful. But if you do mess it up, you are **** out of luck. Call a local place the deals with rebuilds or if you can find someone who deals with cylinderheads exclusively, even better.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
if you tap it out wrong or mess it up you can drill out the taps and put in a thread "sleeve" so to say but it would really only be a temp. fix until you can buy a new head or have the hole fillled and re-machined

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
if you tap it out wrong or mess it up you can drill out the taps and put in a thread "sleeve" so to say but it would really only be a temp. fix until you can buy a new head or have the hole fillled and re-machined

itd also be really bad to get metal shavings into the cylinder. i wouldnt suggest doing this while the head is on the car, if you really want to retap it.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Well, you load the tap with petrolium (sp) jelly and go slow. It works, but if you are scared or unsure, go to a machine shop and have it done where you know it will be right. OHC 4 cyl are defienatly more challenging though.

Back