Spark plugs/Wires Question

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
(bare with me not really a person who knows about part names >.< Learning little by little)

Alright well my wires pop up from the cylinders about half of a dime when I drive the car. If I push them back in to where the wire touches the block/ or the cylinder and drive off and then pull over a mile or two after and check them, they are popping out again. Only the wire in cylinder 3 and 2 are the ones that pop up just a bit, 4 and 1 stay all the way down.

I would like to know if that is normal, like should that happen, would it affect the car in anyway? Like lose power, damage the motor.

Also do you guys think I need different wires? I got the wires for that make, model, year and for the 4 cylinder

Also to add when I did the tuneup got everything the cap,wires,plugs etc. well for some reason the distributor cap was a 98 lx accord but the rotor was an EX model(so the lx one didnt fit but the EX did). & also I recently changed the Manifold gasket(think thats what it is called) and THAT was a part from a DX not an LX.

Do you think maybe this is why the spark plugs wires pop up? maybe it will be a different kind?... the block is a f23a1 engine........

:wtf1::boohoo::explode:

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i had that problem with cylinder 2 on my old 6g, i just bought new plugs and wires and the problem was solved. i probably wouldve been fine with just new plugs tho. i think the problem was that the washer on the spark plug wasnt creating a good seal when it was tightened down.

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
Well thats the thing the old spark plug wires only popd up cylinder 2 now that a did a tune up and the wires are New they still do that but with one more popping out..... :thinking:

finch13

Reaction score
majestic honda :rock:.... not saying that buying aftermarket has anything to do with your problem tho.

They're only a good deal if you're buying a ton of stuff.

I got an EVAP Vent Shut Valve from the dealer for $10 cheaper than Majesitc because they rape you on S&H.

OP, what did you torque the plugs to? It sounds like you have a compression leak, blowing the plug boot off. Torque spec is probably around 13 ft.lbs. or 156 lb.in.

Try seating the plug boots down and then try to pull up. They should require a bit of force to pull off. If they don't stay on, try to return the old ones and pick up an OEM set of Sumitomo plug wires. If they are tight, plugs are probably the problem. Either not torqued enough in the first place, or torqued too much and the threads are damaged/stripped/crossthreaded. If the threads are damaged, you're looking at replacing the head or paying out the *** for a Helicoil job on them... the latter is the better choice, in my opinion. Helicoils are usually stronger then the original aluminum threads.

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
Did a compression test on all the cylinders and all read the same, when i pop them in i hear them click and also when i pull them all the way out it does need force to get them out thats why i think its kind of wierd.

Also like 6 months ago i rebuild the heads too, so i dont think it would be the heads. not sure about a leak, i dont think so cause the compression is all good:thinking:

but i do get the codes of a cylinder misfire

Back