Spray Paint Krylon or Duplicolor?

crossfire

Reaction score
I'm looking to blackhouse my headlights and I wanted to see which paint you guys have used and tips to get a good finish. Pics would be awesome too. Duplicolor paint has 3 different types, gloss, semi-gloss and flat. Krylon on the other side gloss, satin, flat, semi-gloss and semi-flat. I was looking around on my.is and it seems most of them used the satin paint.

I'm looking for ways to improve my paint results. One tip I've heard is to sand inbetween coats, but it seems like it would compromise the adhesion strength of the paint if you used 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
As long as u use high temp you'll be fine. Sanding is a plus but not necessary. I've never sanded any of the sets I've done. I prefer using a flat black engine enamel, looks meaner also same gos with satin also.

I've used glass, semi gloss before and they look about that same. No need to sand after paint you aren't painting a car. Any of the brands you mentioned are fine

I'd just search around the forum and at people's DIYs for pictures. Most of the time I just ask Google

Last edited:

crossfire

Reaction score
As long as u use high temp you'll be fine. Sanding is a plus but not necessary. I've never sanded any of the sets I've done. I prefer using a flat black engine enamel, looks meaner also same gos with satin also.

I've used glass, semi gloss before and they look about that same. No need to sand after paint you aren't painting a car. Any of the brands you mentioned are fine

I'd just search around the forum and at people's DIYs for pictures. Most of the time I just ask Google
The thing that concerns me the most is that none of the standard spray paints are made for plastics. Is there any benefit of using a primer?

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Enamels will bond easier due to the heat and molecular structure of the enamel paint compound. Most paints, especially the brands u mentioned can easily be applied to plastic with great longevity. Make sure the paint is high temp. You can sand and clear coat if you want as well as prep with primer. It definitely won't hurt anything and it'll give u peace of mind.

The most I'd do is sand with 1500 and spray high temp paint or enamel and done. No clear. Gloss vs flat and in between is up to u and personal preference. Like I've said out of all the lights I've done obprefer straight black flat engine enamel.

crossfire

Reaction score
Enamels will bond easier due to the heat and molecular structure of the enamel paint compound. Most paints, especially the brands u mentioned can easily be applied to plastic with great longevity. Make sure the paint is high temp. You can sand and clear coat if you want as well as prep with primer. It definitely won't hurt anything and it'll give u peace of mind.

The most I'd do is sand with 1500 and spray high temp paint or enamel and done. No clear. Gloss vs flat and in between is up to u and personal preference. Like I've said out of all the lights I've done obprefer straight black flat engine enamel.
Thanks. Do you normally use duplicolor engine enamel? What'd you do with the amber parking lights in you headlights btw. It look like you replaced them with a solid black strip?

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I removed them and painted behind them black. Some people keep the strips in and some people opt to just kep the amber strip on the corner light. You can also get clear strips, harder to find though. I either use engine enamel or high temp paint. I used pretty much all the brands from du pont, rustoleum, VHT, and others and they are all about the same when it comes to blackhousing head lights. If you were spray painting exterior items or painting a vehicle it would be different. Any of the brands they sell at auto parts stores should do fine as long as they are high temp paint

Mr.Hollow

Reaction score
both will work fine, just make sure the housing is clean with no dirt or grime whatsoever and the paint will stick.
first a light coat, to get the paint to adhere, then another med-heavy coat until all is gone.

i prefer gloss black as it reflects more than flat black would but it really doesn't affect the overall look to much.

crossfire

Reaction score
What about VHT Flameproof? I have 2 cans of primer flat black
and clear coat. I contacted VHT and they didn't recommend it because they say the paint needs to be bake to reach optimal durability.

Back