Squeaky brake shoes..

dwills1992

Reaction score
Hello,

I just replaced my rear shoes on my accord coupe 4cyl. I replaced them with duralast ones since the original shoes were worn down to the metal. Never been changed since I bought the damn car. i made sure to replaced the springs, and put everything back in order. After, I adjusted them so that they would press against the drum. The E brake and brake pedal were a little soft, but it seems to be working fine now.

My main questions is would I need to replaced the drums as well? I'm thinking im still getting the loud squeaks because of the old drums. Also, I notice that I only hear the squeaking at slow speeds and only in traffic to work. Coming off of speeds in excess of 20 mph the shoes make no noticeable noise. Any feedback as to what I should check next to stop the squeaking is appreciated.

Last edited:

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Re: Squeaky break shoes..

Most of the time the squeaks come from the "landing pads" where the brake shoes contact the back plate. Lube them with some caliper grease and all metal to metal contacts on the top and bottom of the shoes. For good measure you can put a little lube into the spring holes too, before you mount mount them. You can look up some you tube videos if you need visual help.

dwills1992

Reaction score
Most of the time the squeaks come from the "landing pads" where the brake shoes contact the back plate. Lube them with some caliper grease and all metal to metal contacts on the top and bottom of the shoes. For good measure you can put a little lube into the spring holes too, before you mount mount them. You can look up some you tube videos if you need visual help.

Okay, thank you very much. I'll be sure to give that a try, as well as replacing my brake drums. Now that I think of it, I kinda figured that might be a problem area since that is the only place where metal is touching metal. Besides when the old shoes were on there and made contact with the entire drum.

Last edited:
Back