SRI always hot

white beauty

Reaction score
alright ive been seeing a few people on this site and elsewhere that after they turn thier car off, they feel thier SRI and its cold, from the day i got mine after i turn off the car and feel it, its HOT!!!!!!! is this a problem? would it better for me to go to a CAI? Also i live in miami, and go to school in orlando, where in the summer both places are very hot, and i notice that during the day my car doesnt run as great as during the night, am i just imagining this, or does anyone notice this as well, this question is mainly aimedt at people with an SRI and Header on a 4 banger.

nexTOme

Reaction score
mine does it too....ive wondered same thing....because ive seen some posts like....their sri feels pretty cool after hard driving....

jccg5

Reaction score
that is normal...because...is mean to be hot...you guys think is call CAI and SRI and is suppose to be cool after is absorse the heat from the engine ?? lol all CAI are suppose to be hot instead of cold..because of the engine heat ..tat why when you touch it is hot..not cold..not like completely cold...lol...well your car is running better at night then at days.....lol but mmm.. in arizona is 110 115 sometime 120 so yea ...lol event my friend aem v2 is suppose to be hot not cool or cold

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Well the piping of an SRI and CAI will absorb heat just the same, so its the end of the pipe that counts then. The battery does a pretty good job of blocking heat from the SRI's filter, have you ever tried grabbing the metal on the filter to see how hot it is? My whole SRI is usually cool but sometimes, not very often at all, its gotten slighhtttlyyy warm, the tip has always remained cool tho.

And yea at night time or just colder days I've noticed a pretty fun gain in power as well.

dynasty

Reaction score
what brand is your SRI? every intake gets hot. but! AEM pipe is stronger or what i mean is, it keeps the heat away from the pipe. they are designed so the pipe won't get hot which could lose power since cold air gives you more hp. i currently have an ebay SRI. i don't race so my intake don't get hot or anything. but if your very concern, you should put your airbox back on since plastic won't get as hot rather than metal. also, you can make a heat shield which OEM airbox would work better.

jccg5

Reaction score
what brand is your SRI? every intake gets hot. but! AEM pipe is stronger or what i mean is, it keeps the heat away from the pipe. they are designed so the pipe won't get hot which could lose power since cold air gives you more hp. i currently have an ebay SRI. i don't race so my intake don't get hot or anything. but if your very concern, you should put your airbox back on since plastic won't get as hot rather than metal. also, you can make a heat shield which OEM airbox would work better.

well lol...as you said AEM is the leader of CAI and SRI..but trust me i tested my friend and his is alway hot...and event fujita is alway hot...and yes is hot..and i mean hot.i dotn race my car either just shift at 3krpm and is still hot..but the hp gaint is still stay the same lol .lol...and i dont believe my own hand and i tested everyone car and is the same...AEM WITH STRONGEST PIPE..lol yea sure..is still hot liek everyother intake..is normal..and yea id ont know why..but in the days where sunshine hit your car..is wont run like better then the night..i been notice since ever i got the car.im just too scare to post out..because people would call me crazy .lol...but yea is seem like at night our car perform better..and guess what i found out...i found out that when you running yoru car at days...turn on the air...( NO AC ) just turn on the air..and you will notice that the temperature of your car needle will not be as high as everyother days....lol i been doing that ever since i found out lasty week

shavedaccord

Reaction score
The filter itself should remain fairly cool..only way I see it not getting enough air and becoming warm is that you didn't remove the resonator behind the bumper. Heat soak does happen but only at an idle or stop when air isn't flowing inside the engine bay..If you're that worried you could always fab a heat shield or buy one.

Lucid

Reaction score
Or another option is to do a coolant bypass on your TB. That should help too. But only if you live somewere warm I here. Like Miami mby.

white beauty

Reaction score
thanks guys, the only reason i was asking this is because i dont really know what thread it was, but i remember reading that people would feel thier SRI after thier car was turned off and it would be cold, thats yet to happen with me, but i guess they do get hot and i guess its alright, thanks for the input

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Oops, thats right I forgot to mention I have metal components on my intake's cone filter... thats where I was saying to test for heat. And yea I have to drive on the highway anywhere I go so theres a lot of airflow as well compared to if you're just doing stop and go driving maybe.

I don't know anything about this coolant bypass valve, it sounds interesting tho. But isn't the coolant temp pretty hot compared to the incoming air? Or does the throttle body itself actually get very hot?:thinking:

Back