SRS Light & Honda Dealership

shavedaccord

Reaction score
So I took the car to Honda yesterday and got the Air Bag Inflator warranty work done. I also asked them to do the SRS extended warranty. They ended up replacing the driver side seat buckle and some module, but it didn't fix the SRS. There is one additional part on order that they also need to replace. I talked to the service tech and he pretty much went on this rant about my car being modified, how they believe due to modifications my SRS is messed up. They tried to get me to purchase nearly $1,200 in parts that he believes would fix the problem, he wants me to order these BEFORE the other SRS part arrives. They also screwed me over pretty good, they voided all extended warranties that Honda offers/might offer on my car due to modifications. Has anyone else done the SRS thing and get bull**** like this?

Drift

Reaction score
What mods do you have? Could any of them actually have effected the SRS system? (ie, steering wheel? race seats? etc)

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
If you can conclude that they did change the parts for the SRS system, I would try resetting it yourself to see if it stays off. I replaced my drivers seatbelt buckle, reset my SRS and it never came back on.

I think they are pretty much trying to BS you, unless you have a steering wheel or racing seats or accident, there is no way your mods affect the SRS system.

Dealerships are always like this, that is why I stay away from them.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Stock steering wheel, stock seats. I called the Manager today and talked to him during lunch. He said the tech believes that my door handles being shaved is the root of the problem... For a second I thought Honda tech's were smart.. but ya out the window that went.

I'm dropping the car off at 6am tomorrow since the other part arrived. I'm starting to think that they're not going to reset the SRS light just to try and get me to buy uneeded ****.

finch13

Reaction score
You haven't gone to Autozone or something and had the code read yourself? I think the dealer is taking your for a ride because they can't (read: too lazy) to figure it out. I'm guessing they ordered the OPDS module for the passenger seat, along with the drivers seat belt.

We just had an 02 Accord at the shop on Monday for an SRS light, owner's puppy likes to play on the floor in the back and I found the wiring harness for the seat belt buckle switch cut in half underneath the carpet.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
You haven't gone to Autozone or something and had the code read yourself? I think the dealer is taking your for a ride because they can't (read: too lazy) to figure it out. I'm guessing they ordered the OPDS module for the passenger seat, along with the drivers seat belt.

We just had an 02 Accord at the shop on Monday for an SRS light, owner's puppy likes to play on the floor in the back and I found the wiring harness for the seat belt buckle switch cut in half underneath the carpet.
Yeah they replaced the driver side belt, some module but had to order another part. It's being installed tomorrow. AutoZone told me they couldn't read SRS codes. He hooked up the scanner and it found nothing.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
i have my srs light on also. i checked the code and it gave me 9-4 which is a passenger seat belt buckle. so probably next week im going to take it to honda to get it replaced.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
i have my srs light on also. i checked the code and it gave me 9-4 which is a passenger seat belt buckle. so probably next week im going to take it to honda to get it replaced.
You need to be careful about that because it's not a recall it's an extended warranty and it's only good to 180,XXX I believe.
If you need to know how to reset your SRS PM me.
Go ahead and PM me how to anyway just in case.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
They installed the other part today and it didn't fix the problem as they said. The tech said the seat belt code keeps coming up so he's thinks it's a wiring problem since the seat belt light doesn't even work. He pulled my cluster to see maybe if the light was burnt out but apparently it wasn't. So I guess I need to tear into the seat wiring myself and find out why it's not sending a signal to the cluster. Hopefully that will fix it. Honda also claims my Airbags will not deploy until the problem is fixed, so we'll see.

Back