Starter gone bad?

cliffsta

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem. Sometimes, my car does not start. The ignition comes on and everything lights up, but when turned to START I get one loud click and nothing else. I've tried sliding the shifter through the gears in case it is the neutral safety switch, but there's no consistent result by doing this. Also, my understanding is if that switch is bad, the starter will not engage at all. From what I have read in my Haynes manual, it sounds like I'm getting the rod of the starter engaging but not spinning. This sound right? Can Auto-Zone test for this?

Is this the starter or the solenoid? I haven't been stranded anywhere YET but I'm worried its going to completely crap out on me when I'm not at the house :)

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
I had the same problem as you a few months ago. Just one loud click noise. I tried banging on the starter to free it up, but to no avail. I just decided to replace with a new starter from Advance Auto for around $150, and problem solved.

rivera919

Reaction score
i've got that same problem right now. Just havent had time to replace the starter. I had to bang the starter with a hammer to get it starting this morning :/

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
If you buy an aftermarket starter from your local auto parts, make sure to have them test it before you install it. Sometimes new/reman starters fail at the first crank and there is nothing worse than having to do a job more than once.

jennelena

Reaction score
I had the same problem as you a few months ago. Just one loud click noise. I tried banging on the starter to free it up, but to no avail. I just decided to replace with a new starter from Advance Auto for around $150, and problem solved.

WHAT:eekwtf: I just spent $510 for a starter(refurbish) and labor :squintfinger:Me

cliffsta

Reaction score
Alright, thanks SOO much guys. Sounds like I'm wrenching the Honda before I wrench my Kawasaki this Sunday.

Back