starting problems

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
My car doesnt want to start sometimes. I changed my oil and did sea foam, everything went okay, no problems with that. But, just today my car wouldn't start. I would hold the key to try to crank the engine but no go, didnt make a sound at all. Battery still good because everything in my car works. Just in case I even tried jumping my battery, but no go. Brought my battery to autozone and they said they had to recharge it, so that happened and then later on when i connected it back in, the car started after like 3-5 tries. Weird thing is sometimes when i turn the key it doesn't want to crank or anything, but once i press the brake pedal and see the rear light go off, I am able to start my car.

So anyone got an idea of what might of happened?
I'm thinking a couple things based on what I've been reading around on:
-Starter
-Alternator
-Fuel Pump
-The Relay
or - The Immobilizer

any help would be great.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
do you have an auto? does it start in neutral?

weird that it starts with the brake pedal down...seems more like a shift lock issue rather than starting :thinking:

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
yeah its an auto, and when the car didnt start it didnt start in neutral. I literally tried everything, even called a mechanic and he even said to knock on the starter. but as for the pressing on the brake pedal thing, thats only required sometimes. if the car doesnt start when i turn the key i usually would press the pedal and then it starts. But there are times when it just works properly the first time

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like its got some aftermarket alarm or remote starter in it or something. I know some of those require you pushing on the brake pedal before you can actually drive the car to disengage the alarm.

Have you done any sort of electrical work lately?

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
nope alarm is all stock, only recent electrical ive done is installing sidemarkers, but i doubt that has anything to do with it. I have a whole system, subs/amp but ive had that for the longest time already and i doubt that has anything to do with it.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well when I wired up my sidemarkers, I had an issue 4 months afterwards.. and it had nothing to do with the sidemarkers.

But, since everyone told me, I'm going to pass it on and tell you too - check your sidemarker wiring? :thinking:

Did this start happening right after you installed the sidemarkers? How did you wire them up? regular, or JDM style when they stay on with the lights on?

My problem was with a single plug on the back of the driver's fuse box..

Give us more symptoms. If it starts no problem sometimes then it definitely isn't the battery or starter. Starter would make bad noises if it was busted, but it would at least crank.

I have a feeling that your problem is ignition/electrical in nature. Please tell us more and keep us posted on new events!

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
hmm... that might be true. well i have it wired up the jdm way, but i guess one of the wires got wet. i have every wire crimped except for the passenger side sidemarker because i ran out of connectors. hmm. ill check that later today, might have to rewire it and probably wrap it to make it waterproof. I did bring my car to the car wash and i guess the water got through the hole and wet the wires. but so far this morning its fine now. Haven't had a problem with starting so far this morning. I guess the wires might of dried up by now. but if it continues ill mention it. ill probably rewire my stuff and put like wire loom or w/e. thanks for the idea though didnt even think about it till now.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
problem is most likely the starter. i had the same problem not even a week ago. car wouldnt even crank and jus made a click. battery worked fine, dash turned on, radio worked, windows rolled down. couldnt jump the battery. alternator tested fine. the problem was the starter.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I think if it clicked, he would have mentioned it. I think he said that the car has no response at all, no crank no click.. he said it "didn't make a sound at all". I personally don't think it's the starter and I went through hell and back getting a good one when I needed mine replaced. It sucked, but I know all about it.

Back