Stock Wheel size

GTOJER

Reaction score
I have searched and searched. I have a 99 Accord Leather V6 (LX, DX, EX????). I have the alloy 5 spoke wheels. Right now it has 205/65-15 tires. I want to install 225/60-15 tires. All the calculators say this tire should work as it is only .8" wider and the same height. I want to make sure I can install a 225 on the stock wheel. So how wide is this stock wheel?

On my GTO, it came with 245/45-17 and I put 275/40-17 on with no issue.

edit: The car lives in the North Woods of the Adirondack Park and I am planning on putting on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires.

edit2: I am really a severe car geek, just not with Hondas as this is my wife's car that she will not let me mod. I am the GTOAA (GTO Association of America) Tech Advisor for the 04-06 years. I think the headliner is all that is still stock on my GTO. So I just need a little help on this Honda.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Your stock rims are 6" wide, which really isn't practical for a 225 series tire. What's your reasoning behind wanting a wider tire? Does Bridgestone not make a Blizzak in 205/60? I ask because in your situation I would not go higher than a 215 section width.

btw, if you go to the Honda Owners Link website, and type in your VIN, you will find out what trim level your car is.

EDIT: this may also help to answer some questions for you since you're new to Honda: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4576

Last edited:

GTOJER

Reaction score
Thanks for the link and I will check the Honda Owner site as well. The reason for the 225 vs 205 is availability. Long story but I need to get the tires on in Sep and the 205s (WS-70) are not avail until late Sep but I can get the 225 WS-60 today. I can see where they would be little large for that rim. Industry standard is 70% to 90%. The 205 is 74% but the 225 is 67%. However, industry standard usually has a large safety buffer built in. I was asking to see what the Honda guys do. I checked the GTO and I run 245 on an 8" (stock) 82% and 275 on an 8" 73%. So I guess it will be 205s and I will just have to sweat the time getting them.

I am just new to this site not the car. Wife bought the car new. I have done struts, 1/2 shafts, hubs in all corners, timing belt (oh what joy the memory of the crank bolt is), alternator, injectors, intake manifold gasket, and tuneups. She did let me paint it (it had the dreaded peel). The color is purple, no plum, wait, Currant. I had my painter kick the metallic a little more than stock. New carpet, speakers, and an AVIC D3. Nice little car, she will not let me replace it. Only issue with the car right now is I have a 420 code so I need to replace the cat.

Thanks again.

BTW, here is my GTO's page
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2227913

Last edited:

blackcord

Reaction score
Plus you dont really want to run a wide winter tire anyway. Skinny tires do much better in the snow. Better to go with a different brand if the Bridgestones are not available in your size right now.

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
Plus you dont really want to run a wide winter tire anyway. Skinny tires do much better in the snow. Better to go with a different brand if the Bridgestones are not available in your size right now.

you know...i read up on this a little bit and skinny tires only better because they cut into the snow and reach the ground...but i mean if there is A LOT of snow which is what i was thinking of before, wider tires are better because of more surface area.

EDIT: by the way wider tires in the extreme conditions like in the artic is better.

Last edited:

GTOJER

Reaction score
Well, the house is in the extreme weather area. Plattsburgh is the closet town and is 18 miles away and 20 min from the Canada border. And being on top of a mountain, we tend to get a lot of snow. But I went with the correct size as the factory has finally started pumping out the Blizzak WS-70. 4, of course.

And I did go to the Honda Owner Link site and the car is an EX-V6. Thanks for that.

Back