Straight Pipe Exhaust

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Straight pipe can be interpreted two different ways:

a) literally a straight pipe (which is impossible due to a FEW needed bends in our cars unless you're dumping it straight down to the ground after the header).

b) pipe with no cat, resonator, or muffler - straight from the header.

My usual understanding is option b, which is what Kevin (Doctor X) has. The fact that he has Apex'I piping makes no difference - piping is piping. The only thing remotely close to making a difference is how the piping was bent - mandrel or crush, but that's only if you want to get real technical.

Last edited:

truWarier02

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a straight pipe exhaust, but I dont know if there really is much of a difference from other exhaust systems. If anyone has one, please let me hear your thoughts on them. I was thinking about getting something like this

http://www.canibeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/4464479508_3dc99c0112_o.jpg

If you don't mind major drone and your car is only a weekend cruiser, go for it haha.

But if it's your DD, you might want to consider adding a long resonator though and still keep that straight-pipe outlet with no muffler.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
Straight pipe can be interpreted two different ways:

a) literally a straight pipe (which is impossible due to a FEW needed bends in our cars unless you're dumping it straight down to the ground after the header).

b) pipe with no cat, resonator, or muffler - straight from the header.

My usual understanding is option b, which is what Kevin (Doctor X) has. The fact that he has Apex'I piping makes no difference - piping is piping. The only thing remotely close to making a difference is how the piping was bent - mandrel or crush, but that's only if you want to get real technical.

If its straight there should be no bends and the only difference would be in the metal used for the piping ie titanium

Stee-Bo

Reaction score
So right now I have a custom piping catback with an SRS exhaust, and a resonator. What I really wanna do is chop off the muffler, and possibly replace the muffler with the straight pipe piece extending out. I'm not sure exactly what that piece is called, is it just like an extended tail pipe?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
If its straight there should be no bends and the only difference would be in the metal used for the piping ie titanium

Pretty much what I said John :)

Even in that scenario, technically it still wouldn't even be straight.. There's a 45-degree angle down from the header over the oil pan and back.. :ioof6:

hahaha38

Reaction score
I have 3" straight pipe with a 3" down pipe. If your turbo cool. If you're NA forget it.lol

Back