Strange Sound

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
So this started about two weeks ago. I started up my car, and I heard a strange noise from inside the cabin. I popped the hood to see if I saw anything was wrong, but nothing. It only did this once, then stopped for about a week.

About three days ago, it came back. Except this time, it stays there for much longer and it's louder now. Any of you with J30's know how they sound, and mine just doesn't sound the same anymore. The sound is kind of hard to explain, the way I describe it is as "like a straining sound, like it's really trying hard", but I'm barely moving in 1st. Performance doesn't feel affected, just again doesn't sound right.

So, I thought I'd bring it to you guys. I know I couldn't describe it very well.
Fluids, grounds, etc are all fine.

I tried recording the sound, but my phone couldnt capture it. I'll try again and report updates. I'm getting it checked out by my mechanic on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the problem or sound.

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Check and see if your automatic tensioner pulley is working or not, mine started making a odd sound and soon after my AC/Alternator belt snapped. My auto tensioner ball bearings seized up. But if you've driving it for a few weeks that might not be it. Worth a shot to check it out though.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Check and see if your automatic tensioner pulley is working or not, mine started making a odd sound and soon after my AC/Alternator belt snapped. My auto tensioner ball bearings seized up. But if you've driving it for a few weeks that might not be it. Worth a shot to check it out though.

I dont believe that's it, but then again I dont know. Plus that was replaced recently, so I hope that's not it

Back