Subwoofer and Amp matching

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of purchasing two Kenwood KFC-W3012 subwoofer. Already bout the Polk Audio db651 and db691 front and rear coaxial speakers. I'm going to be powering those with the JL Audio J2 320.4.

My question is, whether that Kenwood is a good subwoofer for some decent tunes, and whether I should purchase another JL J2 320.4 to power those subs. The recommended rms power range for the subs is between 50-400. So if i use two channels on the JL Audio amplifier I can get 160 watts to each sub. Is that too low of wattage to supply to each sub, should I be aiming more for around 400 watts to each sub? And if so what is a good amplifier I should be purchasing to match those subs.

Thanks alot guys!

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
id recommend an amp that puts out 800x1 RMS and wire the subs to 2 ohm. make sure whatever amp you buy puts out 800 watts RMS@2 ohms. either that or a 2 channel amp that puts out 400x2@ 4 ohm unbridged. id look for a decently priced amp for you but im leaving. go to www.sonicelectronix.com good prices and good service.

edit: ive never heard those kenwoods playing, but ive heard that theyre good subs if powered right in the right box

Asian Invasion

Reaction score
I would go with a higher power amp. You could always turn it down. If you go with a lower power amp and then decide you want it louder, you risk damaging your subs from distortion when you turn a lower power amp up.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
You can get the a pair of new jl 10w3v3 on eBay for fairly cheap. Slap those in a sealed box with around 800 rms to them and they'll sound great.

They'll sound better than those junk kenwoods too.

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
id recommend an amp that puts out 800x1 RMS and wire the subs to 2 ohm. make sure whatever amp you buy puts out 800 watts RMS@2 ohms. either that or a 2 channel amp that puts out 400x2@ 4 ohm unbridged. id look for a decently priced amp for you but im leaving. go to www.sonicelectronix.com good prices and good service.

edit: ive never heard those kenwoods playing, but ive heard that theyre good subs if powered right in the right box

Alright thanks alot. Yeah just looked up some diagrams on Crutchfield and saw what your talking about how to wire them.

I would go with a higher power amp. You could always turn it down. If you go with a lower power amp and then decide you want it louder, you risk damaging your subs from distortion when you turn a lower power amp up.

Yeah I hear what your saying, definitely gunna look for a more powerful amp.

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
You can get the a pair of new jl 10w3v3 on eBay for fairly cheap. Slap those in a sealed box with around 800 rms to them and they'll sound great.

They'll sound better than those junk kenwoods too.

I'm looking for 12's not 10's, so you thinking the 12" version JL AUDIO 12W3V3-4, sound better than the Kenwoods? And is this off personal experience hearing both or just what you've heard from others?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
I've heard kenwoods SUbs and personally don't like them. I've had the 2-10w3v2, 12w3v3 and and a 12w6v2 and they all sound superior compared to the kenwoods.

If you can find a 12w6 for cheap,~200 used, then that would probably be the best choice. They get pretty loud just off 500 rms in a properly built ported box.

But I'm sure there will be others that will chime in and say that there are other subs out there for cheaper that will do the same thing, but If you've ever heard a 12w6 or any line of w6 in person, they are like sex to the ears.

Also, if you want to go cheaper(half the pirce of a w6 new) a sundown sa-12 would suite your needs also. Put around 800 rms to it and you'll be happy. They get loud while sounding pretty good.

Back