Subwoofer and Amp matching

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
I've heard kenwoods SUbs and personally don't like them. I've had the 2-10w3v2, 12w3v3 and and a 12w6v2 and they all sound superior compared to the kenwoods.

If you can find a 12w6 for cheap,~200 used, then that would probably be the best choice. They get pretty loud just off 500 rms in a properly built ported box.

But I'm sure there will be others that will chime in and say that there are other subs out there for cheaper that will do the same thing, but If you've ever heard a 12w6 or any line of w6 in person, they are like sex to the ears.

Also, if you want to go cheaper(half the pirce of a w6 new) a sundown sa-12 would suite your needs also. Put around 800 rms to it and you'll be happy. They get loud while sounding pretty good.

Thanks for that, after some more research and reading other reviews I'm thinking of getting the JL AUDIO 12W3V3-4. Now I have to find a good amp to power two of these at 500 watts each. SO looking at a 1000 watt amp.

eggyhustles

Reaction score
Dude, keep power low or else you'll have to sink into electrical upgrades.

I'd get the sundown sa-15

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
Dude, keep power low or else you'll have to sink into electrical upgrades.

I'd get the sundown sa-15

What sort of electrical upgrades? I really dont think what im looking at is to unreasonable, after looking at what some of these subs require to power mine seems about middle ground. Also running all this power, think I should get a dedicated battery for the trunk to power the two amps?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
^ true, but I was running my aq1200 at 1 ohm for a couple of months and all I had was a yellow top and it was totally fine.

To the OP, jl subs don't need much power to sound good since they're more sq oriented. A clean 750-800 rms will do them well.

Just find an amp that will put out ~800 rms at 2 ohms.

Just reminds me... An aq 1200 puts out 870ish at 2 ohms and the price is pretty fair. ~250 shipped on audioque website. Look into it.

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
With stock alt and one batt, i'd play safe and keep it below 1000w

True true, like I said though I was thinking of installing a second battery in the trunk for my audio equipment. Do you think that would a safe bet even without an aftermarket alternator.

^ true, but I was running my aq1200 at 1 ohm for a couple of months and all I had was a yellow top and it was totally fine.

To the OP, jl subs don't need much power to sound good since they're more sq oriented. A clean 750-800 rms will do them well.

Just find an amp that will put out ~800 rms at 2 ohms.

Just reminds me... An aq 1200 puts out 870ish at 2 ohms and the price is pretty fair. ~250 shipped on audioque website. Look into it.

Alright thanks, i'll take a look into amplifiers in that power range.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
i was running 1600 watts RMS (although it was hifonics which overrates their older products, i had the bxi-1606d) pushing my 2 alpine type r 12's in a 4 cubic foot slot ported box with separate chambers. i had this setup in my old car which was a 97 plymouth breeze and in my 00 accord 4cyl. completely stock electrical system and never had any problems, although i may have done some damage, idk. not tryin to hate on you eggyhustles btw.

but for the quality to price ratio, type r 12's are the way to go honestly.
type r

type r new model, 600 rms vs 500

newest model of the amp i had

so thats about 400+shipping, then you have to get a wiring kit (1/0 awg to dist block then 4 awg to amp...recommended, i just used 4 awg in my car) and a box. be weary however that the link i posted for the amp is a factory refurbished amp, but i trust sonicelectronix, ive bought lots of thing from them. but i would definitely browse the site and see what you find. oh and crutchfield is more expensive for most products, i think. good luck and keep us updated!

swollen_cu

Reaction score
^^ I'd definately get an sa-12 or sa-15 over a type r anyday. All type r's do are get loud.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
mine sounded nice and clean....on the inside with some diy deadening. the sunroof/trunk on the other hand.....FLEXIN lol. oh well sold the setup

Back