Subwoofer Upgrade?

Reaction score
Sooo, I've been lurking the forums for about 2 months and using the useful guides and information from all the helpful people on the forum. I finally registered, and will now make use of the community knowledge. I have what I figure is a rather specific question, and the search function didn't help all to much. I currently run a 250 rms Rockford fosgate sub with a 250 watt rms JL audio amp. I don't know much more, I kinda inherited the setup from my older brother. But I want to upgrade to a Kenwood 400 watt rms sub with a Hifonics 400w rms to 1200 watt total amp. My question(s) is what kind of gains can I expect, and would it be worth the money to do it? And what would be a change to this setup to make it better? I figured this forum was the best chance I had at getting this answered :)

P.S. sorry for being so longwinded :uhoh2:

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
someone with more knowledge correct me if im wrong, but for every time you double the power, you gain about 3dbs. but i know going from 850wrms to about 1200 made a huge difference when i had my type rs

cmgreensr

Reaction score
I'm gonna sound like a true old man here for just a moment and by old I must state, not 40 yet. When I was late teens, early 20's, I always had a couple 12's, plexiglass covered hifonics amps, neon sub boxes, whatever.

All the stories people tell you about messing up your hearing is true. I didn't listen either. I'm not deaf by any means by I sure can't hear as good as when I was younger. Just be careful how loud you are trying to go.

That's enough of my old man crap, please carry on.

lashlee

Reaction score
2000 is correct that up to a point you need to double the power to gain 3 db's (which is generally considered the smallest amount of noticeable change). Some drivers will only accept a certain amount power before you meet the mechanical limit. If you want big sound (and big numbers) look for a sub and amp that compliment each other and a sub with a larger x max (which is the amount of excursion the cone can travel).

agginline86

Reaction score
2000 is correct that up to a point you need to double the power to gain 3 db's (which is generally considered the smallest amount of noticeable change). Some drivers will only accept a certain amount power before you meet the mechanical limit. If you want big sound (and big numbers) look for a sub and amp that compliment each other and a sub with a larger x max (which is the amount of excursion the cone can travel).

+1

more often than not it comes down to personal preference, especially when taking into consideration what your goals are.

Reaction score
I'm gonna sound like a true old man here for just a moment and by old I must state, not 40 yet. When I was late teens, early 20's, I always had a couple 12's, plexiglass covered hifonics amps, neon sub boxes, whatever.

All the stories people tell you about messing up your hearing is true. I didn't listen either. I'm not deaf by any means by I sure can't hear as good as when I was younger. Just be careful how loud you are trying to go.

That's enough of my old man crap, please carry on.

I appreciate the concern. But not to worry, although I have it up pretty loud sometimes, I'm not blaring 24/7. This setup is the most powerful I'd ever go, I don't really want the loudest speaker in my town or anything like that. Just trying to improve my experience. And unfortunately, my buddy blew out my sub with a bass test track. Pulled it all apart and she's done. So there's a nearby shop offering me 60 bucks for my amp, and I'm just gonna bite the bullet or see what the owner recommends. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Back