summer wheels and tires

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Not ****ty ride quality, just ugly looking and will look like a 4x4 without dropping the car with after market wheels

sabSquishy

Reaction score
Not really. You'll just be high. If you're just looking to get around town in the summer then have summer wheels but if you really want to look nice look into an aftermarket suspension setup.

CRV_33

Reaction score
yeah I'm only a little 4cyl lol. 5 speed gets the job done tho. But as far as tweaking my suspension setup... your saying it'll basically be a s***y ride if I were to go bigger on tires and keeping the stock suspension setup?

Well there some things you need to look at that will affect how your car rides. When you upgrade your wheel size...the wheel diameter will go up and as a result your tirewall become shorter. Your handling will be a little better because there is less flex on the sidewall but at the same time you sacrafice ride quality because the shorter tirewall will not be able to absorb any road abnormalities.

But the suspension will make or break your ride quality. I personally run the Tein Super Streets which is known to be "very soft" or very oem like. Only major complaint is the price and the lack of "slammed" stance. I would recommend this suspension setup if you want to maintain that oem ride quality.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
theres a few website that i knw of shoot me tha tiresize ur lookin at and i will send u the lowest price online, almost guarantee it:naughty:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Most any aftermarket shock/spring combination will keep you close to OEM ride quality. For example, I am running Koni yellow shocks and on their softest setting, they are 20% stiffer than stock. Coilovers, on the other hand, will give a much firmer ride.

Tjohn15

Reaction score
hmmm, well thanks for all the input. I guess I'll have to look more into the whole suspension aspect of this as well. My only concern with lowering the car say 1.5" or so would be the fact that there are alot of country roads around me, so that would mean I would probably have to be a little more careful driving. Also the fact that during the winter I would be even lower because I would be running my 15" winter tires instead of say 17"s. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just looking ahead as to what options I might have

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^When you say country roads, are you saying dirt, gravel, etc? The only thing I can imagine happening, if anything, is if the roads are gravel you might have a couple more pebbles than usual hitting the car. But that would be happening mostly under the car and in the wheel wells. Also if the roads are gravel, you would want to keep a good distance when following someone. If it's dirt, lowering really doesn't have any adverse effect. And it may not sound like it now, but in the grand scheme of things, 1.5" is not much.

If anything, the 15's will have a ever so slightly larger diameter than the 17's would. Really though, the overall diameter of the wheel (rim and tire) will be roughly the same when changing wheel/tire size. Like CRV_33 said, when you plus size a rim, the tire profile or sidewall becomes lower to accommodate that larger rim. The importance of maintaining overall wheel diameter from what the car comes with factory is so your speedometer and odomoter will give accurate readings.

EDIT: Play with this: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Put in the size you have right now for the 15's, and you can find out what size(s) you should be looking at for 17's.

Last edited:
Back