Suspension modifications

djmerkone

Reaction score
Ok so the issue is, i got my illuminas and my megan coils, and ive set them all down to zero (lowest setting), i then lowered the rear more by removing some of the parts from the rears so it can sink in more, and removed a ring from the coil sleeve... but i am not low enough.

I've seen some cheaper setups on lighter cars go lower, why cant i go lower?

What i want to know is, if i raise my springs up a bit, and leave it like that for a month or so, and then put them back down, will this help lower my car more (spring only compression due to car weight) or is there something else i can do to lower my car with what i have, with out cutting my springs?

I know some may think that these questions are dumb, but i dont want to destroy my new investment, as they are not even a month old lol. Thanks in advance.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Pics would help. How much lower than stock is it currently sitting?

Ok so the issue is, i got my illuminas and my megan coils, and ive set them all down to zero (lowest setting), i then lowered the rear more by removing some of the parts from the rears so it can sink in more, and removed a ring from the coil sleeve... but i am not low enough.

^^^^^ And WTF does this mean? :ugh:

djmerkone

Reaction score
Pics would help. How much lower than stock is it currently sitting?
^^^^^ And WTF does this mean? :ugh:

lol my spanglish gets funny sometimes... i took out a ring from each of the rear spring sleevs, and then i cut the bump stops in half, removed the rubber insulators, and left just the insulator that came with the megan springs...

rear setup (front is the same, exept has the 2nd ring on the sleeve, and no bump stop)
5443062703_f362264161_z.jpg

front at current setup as it is now
5450335788_a8eee6a427_z.jpg

rear as it is now
5449725783_b8193f1c07_z.jpg

hope it doesn't mean you cut your rear springs?

because if so...refer to sig...

haha... je ne parle vouz francais... but nah no cut springs...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
megans dont go low. the only way to go lower is to swap out those cheap ****ty sleeve coilovers for something better...which is just about anything. also, most of the time, full coilovers will drop lower than sleeve coilovers....unless theyre teins haha.​

djmerkone

Reaction score
^ they ride pretty nicely, if the shock is set right, but as far as the drop, well u see above, and those are 15" wheels with bald tires lol. Tread surface was smothed out. I am planning on going with 17" wheels with maybe 205/45 tires, but i dont know if that would result in being smaller than 195/60/15, the same or bigger. Bigger will kill the drop but i dunno. would it be safe to further compress the spring and shock while mounted, lets say with steel wire?

oh and i am 23.5" from the ground on the front (fender measured)
and 24.0 in the rear

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
^ they ride pretty nicely, if the shock is set right

i know how they ride, ive had them in the past, all about for a month or so...whenever those garbage *** plastic top mounted spring centering caps got pushed halfway down the middle of the spring. theyre $100, they not that great. at all.

would it be safe to further compress the spring and shock while mounted, lets say with steel wire?

i hope thats not a serious question.

why cant you accept that youve achieved the lowest possible height that those coil sleeves will drop to safely? cutting springs and/or permanently compressing them by using steel wire is unsafe and backwoods as ****.​

Last edited:

djmerkone

Reaction score
i hope thats not a serious question...
why cant you accept that youve achieved the lowest possible height that those coil sleeves will drop to safely? cutting springs and/or permanently compressing them by using steel wire is unsafe as ****.

lol it is a serious question. otherwise, why would i bother typing it...
I've seen conversion vans using something to compress the springs, but on stock suspension, and ive seen trucks using something similar, but to lift instead.

Which is why i asked if the aftermarket springs can be further compressed, for example, with steel wires.

I can accept that this is the lowest height possible, safely, but i dont see the problem with exploring options, especially since i do not want to further invest on my suspension at this time.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
seriously, the only other option to explore is a new setup. not doing ghetto mods to your car. just because others are lacking intelligence doesnt mean you have to follow...but it may be too late for that advice.

im not trying to be a dick about it either. either do it the right way or dont do it at all.​

Last edited:

djmerkone

Reaction score
seriously, the only other option to explore is a new setup. not doing ghetto mods to your car. just because others are lacking intelligence doesnt mean you have to follow...but it may be too late for that advice.

im not trying to be a dick about it either. either do it the right way or dont do it at all.​

dude, im not going to do something that will end up killing me or especially my kids LOL. Thats why i was asking about it first. Believe me, i know what you are referring to, i see kids like that all the time, thinking fast and the furious is still hot. And im not taking what ur saying the wrong way either broski, the unwise usually speak and dont listen very well, referring to me. This was at best, a pure listening session for me. I appreciate you taking the time to basically look out for me on this meng.

Now for my next question...
im sure most of you have all seen those wheels at walmart that are for trailers so, i was wondering...

LOL IM JOKING!!!

Last edited:
Back