Swapping 01 motor in 98, do I need ECU/Key fobs?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Bought a 98 Accord with a J30A1 (distributor) fully loaded for $400... First Honda and I'm liking it for only driving it once. It had an awful miss which I fixed with new plugs, wires, fresh oil change, valve adjustment etc. She certainly has a bottom end knock for sure. So, swapping it out very soon.

The donor car I have available is a 01 J30A1 with electronic ignition/coil over plug. What do I need to swap to support the new engine?

Assuming I can just drop in the 01 motor, providing I retain the 01 engine harness and the engine as a whole minus accessories like alternator/power steering etc.

But I'm skeptical if I require the 01 ECU, and if I do, no problem, but do I need the keys and an electronic module for the immobilizer?

Thanks....

FNCONE

Reaction score
Yes you will need the ECU.
And keys.... You can swap everything right on it no need to take it off. Just compresso, so you don't have to release the Freon. (leave compressor connector to hoses. Once you start you will see it can stay laying down while you remove complete engine with tranny alt,PS) Take your engine with tranny out minus compressor, add new J30 with everything minus compressor.
You can do the flip key MOD and just take the chip out and make a copy of your 98 key and ALL GOOD.

FOB can be programmed I believe to any 6th gen.... Dont quote me on that, because we have trunk release (V6) and some 6th gens didnt have that on their FOB (i4)

Reaction score
Perfect thanks.

Wasn't sure if this would be like a Chrysler vehicle where I would need to get the ECU, Keys and SKIM/Immobilizer module as a whole (married together).

I'll just remove the fob/sensor from the 98 keys and throw the new ones on the same chain, should be fine. Done it on other vehicles.

I figured the accessories were the same, since the alternator I just installed before the engine started knocking came off the 01 donor car. Definitely going to remove the AC compressor, noticed today it would sit nicely on the support.

One other question I have, I'm use to domestic cars engine harnesses just disconnecting in very close proximity to the engine, in other words they are very isolated. For the life of me, as far as I can tell the engine harness seems to extend to the transmission and go along the firewall, through it to the PCM. Is this true?

FNCONE

Reaction score
Just disconnect The ECU and pull out the firewall as whole..(A tight spot but it comes out) Most of the plugs dont need to be unplugged. You will see...

Reaction score
Appreciate it, really do. :)

How feasible is it just pulling engine and putting a block under the trans? Imagine I'd have to remove the lower collar to remove flywheel bolts. Rather not have to pull half shafts and ball joints.

FNCONE

Reaction score
You just want the engine off? That would be personal preference. For me removing ball joints and axles ( half shaft not really necessary to remove if taking it all out) is easier than unbolting the tranny. Iam assuming you are swapping the whole engine without the tranny) But my personal preference is to work out the cars engine bay, more comfortable. Maybe someone else that has done it the way you are describing can chime in.

Reaction score
Oh, I agree with that completely, I've done it both ways. Separating the trans and engine is a HUGE PITA, t'was with a FWD car I did it on with the engine mounted the "right way". No room to get down there. But on these cars, doesn't seem as bad. Pulling the suspension for the axels seems tedious none the less. I intend to lift the motor out, roll the car back, reverse to install.

So let me pick your brain on this, noticed today I have a few J35 and J32 engines kicking around, already pulled for the picking. Issue is the wiring harness has been cut.

Would those engine be a literal drop in and bolt up? Everything I read so far says so. Trick is, would the 01 ECU and wiring harness run them? Sigh, can see this leading up to a 6 speed trans really flipping quick.

Varnell

Reaction score
The J32 drops in with the exception of the transmission mount. Not sure about the auto tranny. Go with the J35 and bypass the dbw so I can follow in your footsteps. :driving:

Reaction score
Know of any build threads?

I would guess if the J32 drops in the same mounting position as a J30, and the transmissions both have the same bolt up that the auto trans mount and the trans at all shouldn't be a concern. I would think, but I don't know so hence why I'm here... LOL

If the J32 drops in, bolts up and only requires an ECU swap, I may just take a stab.

J35 seems a bit ambitious for what I'm keen too do for now.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Mine fit right in... I had to "angle" it in ( dropped engine from top) because the J32 auto tranny is bigger than J30

Back