Swapping original for same F23A1, Couple Questions...

Pat

Reaction score
My car has been burning oil like crazy at anything over 3k rpm... Had it looked at, it is either the rings or valve sleeves supposedly. I've tried lots of those "Products". Not even the slightest bit of improvement.
I was going to wait and just keep topping up oil but, the other day, I topped it up with oil and noticed the coolant reservoir was near empty.

I know that it probably means the head gasket is gone too. That may be the only issue, but I don't want to do the HG and find out it still burns oil, and essentially have wasted my money.

A buddy of mine says his mechanic friend can swap it no problem for $500 cash. He does all his buddy's honda swaps and is trustworthy. I already found a jap motor F23A1 with 50-75,000 kms on it for $350 cash.

My questions are... (Keep in mind, this is a budget swap, I don't have a lot of cash)
Is there anything other than oil, filter and coolant I will need to pay for?
Is it that necessary to do the TB and WP at the same time? I know they aren't due til 160,000 kms. And I know they are easier to do when the motor is out of the vehicle, but its an extra expense I really don't want to pay for right now.
Any other tips that may help with the process?
I really want to keep this at $1000 MAX.

Thanks

Pizzaman

Reaction score
i didnt do my belt or pump when i swapped mine. i looked at it and the timing belt looked good so im holding off til after winter when i have more funds. so take off the valve cover and check it out and you make the call. i did change the plugs and wires though.

f20bcg3

Reaction score
Ull need brake fluid tranny fluid power steering fluid and if ur five speed clutch fluid

hiding phone so boss wont catch me on 6th gen

Pat

Reaction score
I didn't realize I'd need all those fluids, but I guess if you have to remove the reservoirs to get them out of the way...

Thanks guys. Any other tips?
I'm assuming since the motor has 50-75,000 kms on it, there is no breaking in period lol.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Ull need brake fluid tranny fluid power steering fluid and if ur five speed clutch fluid

Misinformation. :henry:

You will NOT need tranny fluid, brake fluid, 'clutch fluid' (same as brake fluid :lawl: ) or power steering fluid, unless you specifically tamper with those systems and compromise their integrity during install, losing either fluid or trapping air. You will need oil and coolant only when swapping the full engine. If you take it apart, you may need a head gasket. Otherwise you should be good to go - pull those other systems out of the way and slap the new engine in. If your exhaust manifold gasket was bad, you may need a new one of those also.

I'd recommend at least checking the timing belt before you put the engine in, and if appears compromised change that out. Water pump I wouldn't worry about quite yet. Both are relatively easy to change with the engine in the car, if problems arise.

Last edited:

f20bcg3

Reaction score
I mean its technicaly not misinformation if ur 5 speed ur gonna need clutch fluid wen u take da tranny off to bleed clutch tranny fluid wen u remove half shaft fluid will leak out brake fluid to make sure u bleed brakes to check for air wen moving rotors out of way to get to axles but thats if u do it that way like i do not really power steering fluid if u just move to side instead of removing but i do go by the CYA rule wen doing a swap its never let me down before so its all up to u or whoever does a swap

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
You can swap out engine without removing transmission. you can still remove half-shaft without losing fluid. Like you said though, all depends on your method of doing the swap - and who is doing it.

f20bcg3

Reaction score
Like it was mentioned before its a mechanic that does swaps often so hopefully he does do it at less costly way

Back